What's new

Where the heck is the 2nd speaker?

DavePlus

Reaction score
The Apple keynote showed an animation of sound coming from the 'top' and the 'bottom' of the phone (or left and right ends, if you're holding it sideways).
It took a while to find a hands-on video that actually showed a brief image of the top of the phone... and it appears to be solid (no holes).

Of course, the many photos of the bottom show speaker holes on both sides of the lightning port.

Is, perhaps, the keynote video wrong, and the stereo is actually left and right of the lightning port?
Anyone have confirmation on 2nd speaker location (other than the keynote video animation).

There are two speakers, one at the bottom, and one at the top. Here's a picture showing the iPhone 7 Plus, and it's speaker at the bottom:
IMG_4665.JPG

Pcmag

It's better visible on the rose-gold iPhone.

Yes, I know there's a speaker on the bottom.. That's the whole point of my question. Where are the pictures showing speaker holes at the top?

Yes, I know there's a speaker on the bottom.. That's the whole point of my question. Where are the pictures showing speaker holes at the top?
There are no speaker holes at the top of the iPhone. Apple uses the earpiece speaker on the front of the iPhone 7 as the second stereo speaker.

There are no speaker holes at the top of the iPhone. Apple uses the earpiece speaker on the front of the iPhone 7 as the second stereo speaker.

Ok. I suppose that would work. Thanks. Interesting that the left and right sound is going to sound different than each other.

There are two speakers on the bottom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are two speakers on the bottom

There are two grills on the bottom; one is a speaker and one is for show - the left grill, where the headphone jack was on previous models, hides the new taptic engine (no speaker on the left).

Last edited:
There's one speaker at the bottom and another at the top

There's one speaker at the bottom and another at the top

There's no speaker at the top. The second speaker for stereo sound is the earpiece speaker on the front of the phone also used to receive phone calls.

There's no speaker at the top. The second speaker for stereo sound is the earpiece speaker on the front of the phone also used to receive phone calls.
Actually, that's quite genius. I mean, there is already a hole there (for the phone earpiece) and Apple is using it as a dual-purpose opening instead of having to create a new hole and expend resources making it water resistant.

There are two grills on the bottom; one is a speaker and one is for show - the left grill, where the headphone jack was on previous models, hides the new taptic engine (no speaker on the left).
Some of the holes in that left grille opening on the iPhone 7 are for the barometric sensor, which is located between the Taptic Engine and the grille openings.

I imagine there is some sort of equalization software built in to accommodate the variance in speaker size and position.