What's new

Where can I buy Iphone 4 unlocked and commintment-free?

JPLinhares

Reaction score
Hey guys, Im new here and I live in brazil.. im going to NY on Christmas and i wanna buy an Iphone 4, and where can I buy it Commintment-free?? i mean that i can use another cell phone carrier, do they sell it this way in apple store??
thanks and sory for my english

On line use credit card and paypal. Better safe than sorry.

I heard that in apple stores they sell it without At&T carrier, but not unlocked..so I could unlock the iphone here..is that true? if it's so.. is it easy to unlock or depends on the O.S?

I heard that in apple stores they sell it without At&T carrier, but not unlocked..so I could unlock the iphone here..is that true? if it's so.. is it easy to unlock or depends on the O.S?

yes you can do that, some even get a contract then pay to cancel it so they can activate the phone, or put a pay as u go att card in there. imo waiting and relying on unlock sucks though

it depends on O.S. and you won't know untill you buy it, Most new phones come with 4.1 which you cannot UNLOCK yet.

You are better of buy a FActory unlocked $750-900 or a pre owned one for $650-750 with the Unlocked software. I know where you can get a new one with 4.0.2 Unlocked for $680. But you would have to come to Houston ;)

You can buy an iPhone 4 at Apple store or AT&T store for $599. No contract. You have to sign up with AT&T for service, unless you unlock it for another carrier.

If you live in US then buy unlocked from Canada for $780.00

I also live in Brazil and am looking to buy this phone. Here is what I know.

a) You CAN buy phones with no committment in the Apple Retail Stores - I just called them up to confirm. US$499 (16GB) US$599 (32GB)

b) However, whether you buy the no committment phone OR a phone with an AT&T plan (and later terminate), the phone remains LOCKED for AT&T use only.

c) My limited understanding of unlocking these phones, is that you CAN unlock the phone via JAILBREAK, however, everytime you update the OS in Itunes it will LOCK and you will have to JAILBREAK again... IS THIS WORTH IT?

d) on EBAY it appears people are selling FACTORY UNLOCKED phones (which dont lock up on updates) for roughly US$900-1000 which usually come from Australia (where they sell them this way), but in Brazil with the price around US$1100, its hardly worth the online and customs risk.

If anyone knows if there is easy technology to unlock the phones permanently please post. I understand this is either a)impossible or b) very complicated to do. Sounds like you need someone to enter a particular code from your specific iphone to a list maintained in the apple server that the server thinks your phone is supposed to be unlocked and that does not lock up. And for this, you need some real connections with apple employees.

Thats what i Know.

Boa sorte!!!
Abs

I also live in Brazil and am looking to buy this phone. Here is what I know.

a) You CAN buy phones with no committment in the Apple Retail Stores - I just called them up to confirm. US$499 (16GB) US$599 (32GB)

b) However, whether you buy the no committment phone OR a phone with an AT&T plan (and later terminate), the phone remains LOCKED for AT&T use only.

c) My limited understanding of unlocking these phones, is that you CAN unlock the phone via JAILBREAK, however, everytime you update the OS in Itunes it will LOCK and you will have to JAILBREAK again... IS THIS WORTH IT?

d) on EBAY it appears people are selling FACTORY UNLOCKED phones (which dont lock up on updates) for roughly US$900-1000 which usually come from Australia (where they sell them this way), but in Brazil with the price around US$1100, its hardly worth the online and customs risk.

If anyone knows if there is easy technology to unlock the phones permanently please post. I understand this is either a)impossible or b) very complicated to do. Sounds like you need someone to enter a particular code from your specific iphone to a list maintained in the apple server that the server thinks your phone is supposed to be unlocked and that does not lock up. And for this, you need some real connections with apple employees.

Thats what i Know.

Boa sorte!!!
Abs

that would be nice if there was such technology or a tool to permanently unlock the iphone, well obviously there is because the carriers do it but there is no way to do it online like jailbreak and it sucks that your phone locks up again so imo the only way is factory unlocked, relying on unlock tools sucks and is not worth it, in england i got it for 599 english pounds the 32GB but thats just under 1000USD and its factory unlocked

If you know anyone in Canada you can buy from Apple.com/ca and have it delivered to him in Canada then he ship it to you. I bought
mine for US $780.
Try to stay away from the locked one if you can.
bd92ced9.jpg

I think your best bet is to buy the unlocked phone from Canada. Get in touch with someone who is willing to purchase the phone for you and ship it down. I personally have the factory unlocked phone and I love the fact I don't need to ever worry about the phone locking itself after a restore. I learned the lesson the hard way!

It may be expensive but it's worth it. I got my phone, tossed in my telus sim and instantly was on the network.

Got my "neverlocked" 32GB three months ago from an ebay seller in Germany who purchased some in France. I paid €850, about $1,170. I think the he got them for €799, about $1,100, at an Apple store. He had 5 of them up for BIN of €850 when I bought mine.

Last edited:
agreed , sim free or nothing. unless you plan to only use one carrier then you might as well get it locked to that network and use it.