What's new

Whats the best way to update.

jjmcb

Reaction score
i search a couple of forums threads and really havent found what i am asking. if it has been answer before please delete thread. my question is what is the best way to update to the new ios. i use to do the over the air, then i found out there could be issues with the ota. is the best way to update through dfu mode

You can update over the air, or using iTunes on your computer. Both have their advantages. For OTA, you don't need a computer; updating via iTunes is an option if your storage space isn't enough for the update over Wi-Fi. (Just as an example.)

If you face problems after updating over the air, restoring through iTunes will solve them in most cases.

If you're still using iOS 7x, it might be better to update your iPhone using iTunes. Here's what has to be done:
Update the iOS software on your iPhone iPad and iPod touch - Apple Support

For iPads, it's always a good idea to reset the device (Home and Power button) after updating, which might remove glitches you would experience otherwise. I suppose it's not different for the iPhone.

I always update via OTA at home because my signal is very strong with Xfinity WiFi.

You can update over the air, or using iTunes on your computer. Both have their advantages. For OTA, you don't need a computer; updating via iTunes is an option if your storage space isn't enough for the update over Wi-Fi. (Just as an example.)

If you face problems after updating over the air, restoring through iTunes will solve them in most cases.

If you're still using iOS 7x, it might be better to update your iPhone using iTunes. Here's what has to be done:
Update the iOS software on your iPhone iPad and iPod touch - Apple Support

For iPads, it's always a good idea to reset the device (Home and Power button) after updating, which might remove glitches you would experience otherwise. I suppose it's not different for the iPhone.

Spot on as always Johanna! I'd second the iTunes option as the primary method of updating. As Johanna pointed out, OTA would not require a computer to do so. However, note that if you perform an OTA update, you'll lose about 500MB or so of storage as iOS caches some of the older directories on your device, which is questionable since you're not allowed to downgrade your device, so those directories aren't needed anyways, so that'll be 500MB that you lost for pretty much nothing.

And as Johanna pointed out, using iTunes, you won't need to download the delta onto your device, so if you're tight on storage space, you won't have to worry about deleting a lot of data to make room for the delta (though updates will take up a bit more space so if you're at the brim, you'll still need to make some room). Plus you won't be forfeiting 500 MB for nothing, meaning 500MB that you'll actually get to keep and use for something practical.

Spot on as always Johanna! I'd second the iTunes option as the primary method of updating. As Johanna pointed out, OTA would not require a computer to do so. However, note that if you perform an OTA update, you'll lose about 500MB or so of storage as iOS caches some of the older directories on your device, which is questionable since you're not allowed to downgrade your device, so those directories aren't needed anyways, so that'll be 500MB that you lost for pretty much nothing.

And as Johanna pointed out, using iTunes, you won't need to download the delta onto your device, so if you're tight on storage space, you won't have to worry about deleting a lot of data to make room for the delta (though updates will take up a bit more space so if you're at the brim, you'll still need to make some room). Plus you won't be forfeiting 500 MB for nothing, meaning 500MB that you'll actually get to keep and use for something practical.
This is a interesting theory. I actually gained 1.5gb of memory when I updated to iOS8 from iOS7 via OTA
I was curious about this theory so I decided to call Apple and get an explanation. It was explained to me by an Apple Tech, that going from a whole number to another whole number it's better to update via iTunes, but within the same number (decimal point), its not neccessary..also all devices are different and while some may loose a small amount of memory, others don't loose any, and it's really based on whats actually on each individual device. He also explained that when updating OTA, it should be done while using the strongest WiFi available for best results.
Thanks for the info Willer, I found this very interesting.