What's new

Change in phone number format iPhone 4s

strand_76

Reaction score
First, I apologize if this is all ready covered in another post. I searched a few ways and did not see anything pertaining to it. Also, I wasn't really sure the best key words to use.

So here is the problem I encountered this evening: After unplugging my iPhone from the computer, I first noticed that all the names in my saved texts, had reverted to just the number. Second, I found that I could not make phone calls (still could receive), I would get a Verizon message saying something like I was unable to make long distance or international calls. I finally noticed that the format of my numbers in contacts had changed. Ex. Instead of reading +1(123)456-7890 it now read 1234567890. With a little experimenting I found that I could go back in and edit the numbers and add a +1 in front and it would automatically add the parentheses and dash. This allows me to now make phone calls to my contacts. So, I kind of found a solution, but i don't want to have to go through and edit 300+ contacts. What has caused this, and is there an easy way to resolve this issue?

PC
iPhone Software: 5.0.1
iTunes: It was just updated this week, so it should be current. 10.5.2 i think?

Thanks in advance,
strand_76

I'm having the same problem. Everything was working fine. Then I made a trip overseas and used a prepaid sim card. Now I'm back in the US and my contacts are all messed up and won't display names when people call or txt.

wicked... did you have your problem also after connecting to iTunes?? Or did this happen to you in some other fashion.?

Nope. Haven't tried I tunes back. Just came back from overseas and switched back to Verizon. I'll try connecting to iTunes

So after a little research, I have found a solution.

If you are a Verizon customer, dial *228 and choose option one "Program phone". This worked for me, and the phone was back to normal in about 5 minutes. I'm sure other carriers have similar choices, but you will have to do your own research.

The other thing you can try, but this is un-tested, is to goto Settings>International>Region Format then select your current location (i.e. United States). I have a feeling that this would work for the person that returned from abroad and replaced SIM card.

Hope this helps

Ok, I thought I was going crazy. I have tried the "Program Phone" and it hasn't worked/updated yet, but I am patient. It was definitely weird to just happen like that - made no sense.

[Update]
Worked. I noticed my number at the top of the contacts list in the phone app went back to the original (123) 456-7890 from the 1234567890 it was. Also, I had to reboot the phone (hold down Home and Sleep buttons until the phone goes off and back to the Apple logo) before the change fully took.
[/Update]

Last edited:
Did the Verizon *228 thing rebooted have changed international settings back and forth. And it still isn't right. Glad the fixes are working for the rest of you. Guess I'll have to go talk to apple

Talk with Verizon first. You may have to have a live person send the reset to the phone.

Also, it did not fix itself right away, it took about 20 minutes before it was fixed.

Last edited:
Called Verizon. They called apple. Basically I went into settings reset and reset all settings. Now it works. Just had to redo all my settings for ringtone background etc.