What's new

What does "semi-untethered" mean?

Roger1122

Reaction score
Just Googled for "iPhone 4 iOS 5.1 jailbreak" and was pleased to see a claim to offer jailbreaks for v5.1. A definition of tethered vs untethered was also given. Important difference, good to know!

But there was no explanation of "semi-untethered" which was quoted for iOS 5.1. What does this mean?

Semi-tethered is a package that you can download via Cydia after the Jailbreak process is complete. It allows an iPhone w/ a tethered JB to reboot back to the springboard and still be able to use the Phone, Safari, & Messages. However, none of the JB tweaks or packages will work until the phone is rebooted tethered.

Semi-tethered is a package that you can download via Cydia after the Jailbreak process is complete. It allows an iPhone w/ a tethered JB to reboot back to the springboard and still be able to use the Phone, Safari, & Messages. However, none of the JB tweaks or packages will work until the phone is rebooted tethered.

Actually Mobile Substrate is what gives the device a "semi-tethered" jailbreak. Not the Semi-Tethered package. The Semi-Tethered package is only "suppose" to do nothing more then protect notification center widgets, and patch Safari in a semi-tethered boot. In my experience, the notification widget protection has never worked.

Unless you care about patching Safari, it is pretty pointless to install.

But basically, as soon as you install Mobile Substrate you should have a semi-tethered jailbreak.

The name of the Package, and desription is very misleading, so most people think it needs to be intalled to actually have the semi-tether, when in fact that is not what it does at all.

Last edited:
zig9449 said:
Actually Mobile Substrate is what gives the device a "semi-tethered" jailbreak. Not the Semi-Tethered package. The Semi-Tethered package is only "suppose" to do nothing more then protect notification center widgets, and patch Safari in a semi-tethered boot. In my experience, the notification widget protection has never worked.

Unless you care about patching Safari, it is pretty pointless to install.

But basically, as soon as you install Mobile Substrate you should have a semi-tethered jailbreak.

The name of the Package, and desription is very misleading, so most people think it needs to be intalled to actually have the semi-tether, when in fact that is not what it does at all.

So the short answer to my question is that if I reboot a semi-tethered JB phone when it isn't actually plugged into a computer it should retain some of the basic phone functions.

Think I'll wait until a fully UNtethered package is available. Is there a list I can join to get notified when this happens?

Roger1122 said:
So the short answer to my question is that if I reboot a semi-tethered JB phone when it isn't actually plugged into a computer it should retain some of the basic phone functions.

Think I'll wait until a fully UNtethered package is available. Is there a list I can join to get notified when this happens?
Y
Before iOS 5 came, there was tethered and untethered jailbreak.

A tethered JB is when you cannot reboot your phone without being halted at the Apple logo. It just won't boot. Apple logo til the battery dies.
It won't boot "unless" you if it and boot it with the toll you jailbroke it with.

In iOS 5, there is a semi-tethered jailbreak. The phone will boot into a none jailbroken state, SMS, calls, etc.

The only things that don't work is Safari, Cydia and anything installed from Cydia. You have to reactivate the jailbreak with a tethered boot.

It is actually not that bad. I find it worth only being able to reboot my phone when near my PC to have my phone jailbroken. But that is just me.

Plus, it is not like before where you could not reboot your phone at all. At least if you really really have to when away from your computer you can...and use it. Just not Safari, or anything Cydia related. To me it's jut better then having no jailbreak at all. Having to use a stock iPhone would probably drive me crazy.lol.

Last edited:
mermaid said:
you are not able to use safari…

Sent from my iPhone 4S Verizon

Can an iPhone 4 jailbreak be simply cancelled or removed, whatever, so that the phone will then simply reboot into the full standard Apple state while still untethered, or do you have to be tethered to even cancel/remove the JB?

I'm sure all this kind of information is freely available but all the descriptions I read have so much stuff in them I don't understand that it's hard to find the basic simple stuff a newbie needs to know.

Can an iPhone 4 jailbreak be simply cancelled or removed, whatever, so that the phone will then simply reboot into the full standard Apple state while still untethered, or do you have to be tethered to even cancel/remove the JB?

I'm sure all this kind of information is freely available but all the descriptions I read have so much stuff in them I don't understand that it's hard to find the basic simple stuff a newbie needs to know.

In a way, you have to be tethered to remove the jail break, because you have to be hooked up to the computer so you can restore the phone (and remove the jail break).

But yes, the jail break can be easily removed. Just hook it up to the computer, put it into DFU mode, activate iTunes and allow iTunes to restore (just follow the pop-ups). This will put the latest firmware on the phone and it will be stock...no jailbreak.

However, once you have performed the step of removing the jail break, you will not need to hook up to the computer for a restart or a reset - because your phone will be stock and thus not need tethering.

Hope that clarifies.

Marilyn

Mickey330 said:
In a way, you have to be tethered to remove the jail break, because you have to be hooked up to the computer so you can restore the phone (and remove the jail break).

But yes, the jail break can be easily removed. Just hook it up to the computer, put it into DFU mode, activate iTunes and allow iTunes to restore (just follow the pop-ups). This will put the latest firmware on the phone and it will be stock...no jailbreak.

However, once you have performed the step of removing the jail break, you will not need to hook up to the computer for a restart or a reset - because your phone will be stock and thus not need tethering.

Hope that clarifies.

Marilyn

So you DO have to be tethered to remove the jailbreak. I hate having anything to do with iTunes, and backup and sync using iCloud. So I was hoping that I could just do something like delete the JB thingy and have it out of the way.

Anyway, I'll wait until there is an untethered JB available.

Thanks, Marilyn.

Roger