What's new

What does jailbreak mean

Is there any way to go back to previous version? Un-Jailbreak if you will?

Sure, you can always un-jailbreak. However, that means you cannot "go back" or use a prior version of the iOS. You have to un-jailbreak by restoring the phone to the most current firmware, which today is iOS 5.1.

The process is a simple matter of hooking the phone to iTunes and selecting "restore" ...

Marilyn

Jail breaking is the process of unlocking the iPhone.
This is not a correct statement as is. Though Jailbreaking a phone does "unlock" certain abilities that Apple doesn't allow, Jailbreaking and what is referred to as "unlocking" on these forums and out in the mobile phone world are two entirely separate processes.

Jailbreaking does no permanent changes to your phone and you can get back to factory reset by plugging into iTunes anytime you want.

"Unlocking" an iPhone breaks it out of its baseband (modem) to allow you to use other carriers (like unlocking an AT&T phone to use it on TMobile. This is a permanent process and voids the warranty on your phone.

So around here we distinguish between Jailbreaking and unlocking as they refer to entirely different processes.

Last edited:
This is not a correct statement as is. Though Jailbreaking a phone does "unlock" certain abilities that Apple doesn't allow, Jailbreaking and what is referred to as "unlocking" on these forums and out in the phone works are two entirely separate processes. Jailbreaking does no permanent changes to your phone and you can get back to factory reset by plugging into iTunes anytime you want. "Unlocking" an iPhone breaks you out of its baseband (modem) to allow you to use other carriers (like unlocking an AT&T phone to use it on TMobile. This is a permanent process and voids the warranty on your phone.

So around here we distinguish between Jailbreaking and unlocking as they refer to entirely different processes.

I think that he means unlocking the potential of the iPhone. Not unlocking bb. But yes things should be clear to avoid confusions, not for me but for newbies who might read this thread.

I think that he means unlocking the potential of the iPhone. Not unlocking bb. But yes things should be clear to avoid confusions, not for me but for newbies who might read this thread.
Exactly! And that's why I mentioned it. "Unlocking" around here can only mean one thing.

jailbreak means freeing your phone from the limitations imposed on it by your carrier, whether that's AT&T or Verizon, and Apple. You install a software application on your computer, and then transfer it to your iPhone, where it "breaks open" the iPhone’s file system to allow you to modify
It lets you do everything from customizing the look of your iPhone to installing third-party applications (such as titles that are not authorized and available in the App Store) and customized ringtones on it. Depending on how far you're willing to go, you can do even more than that: Jailbreaking even lets you to unlock your phone so you can use it with a carrier other than the one from which you purchased it.

There's a ton of third-party apps available once you jailbreak your phone. Some of them are really fun, some of them are really useful, and plenty of them are really cool. Sure, many of them are available in the App Store, but there are many, many more unauthorized apps that are also available

However, once you do it, you're on your own. You may have voided your warranty, so you can't rely on AT&T, Verizon, or Apple to fix any problems you encounter. All of the applications that jailbreak your phone are unauthorized and could damage or completely disable your iPhone. Your slick smartphone could end up as nothing more than a very expensive paperweight.

[QUOTE="However, once you do it, you're on your own. You may have voided your warranty, so you can't rely on AT&T, Verizon, or Apple to fix any problems you encounter. All of the applications that jailbreak your phone are unauthorized and could damage or completely disable your iPhone. Your slick smartphone could end up as nothing more than a very expensive paperweight.[/QUOTE]

Relax mate....you not "on you own" or screwed out of your warranty if you jailbreak.....

Your screwed out of your warranty if you let them know you jailbroke....simple...restore become taking to the stained and they will never k ow you hacked it.

You DO NOT RISK TURNING YOUR PHONE INTO AN EXPENSIVE PAPER WEIGHT BY JAILBREAKING IT!!!!!!!!!!

YOU RISK MAKING YOUR PHONE INTO AN UNUSABLE STATE TO WHERE YOU MAY HAVE TO RESTORE WHEN YOU DONT CHECK COMPATIBILITY WITH TWEAKS &TOOLS...

This is almost ALWAYS user error.

You really over did it man........ya really over did it.lol

However, once you do it, you're on your own. You may have voided your warranty, so you can't rely on AT&T, Verizon, or Apple to fix any problems you encounter. All of the applications that jailbreak your phone are unauthorized and could damage or completely disable your iPhone. Your slick smartphone could end up as nothing more than a very expensive paperweight.
This is UTTERLY FALSE! It is not a warranty voiding act to jailbreak. It IS warranty voiding to "unlock" your phone from its original carrier baseband. But Jailbreaking is NOT unlocking. You can always restore a jailbroken iPhone to its original state. So be at peace when you jailbreak. If you don't like it - you can return your phone to its original state and noone could ever tell it was jail broken ever.

Do NOT take your phone to an Apple Store if you're having trouble after Jailbreaking. They will not help you unless its returned to its normal state - which is very easy to do with a simple connection to iTunes.

Last edited:
pianoman said:
This is UTTERLY FALSE! It is not a warranty voiding act to jailbreak. It IS warranty voiding to "unlock" your phone from its original carrier baseband. But Jailbreaking is NOT unlocking. You can always restore a jailbroken iPhone to its original state. So be at peace when you jailbreak. If you don't like it - you can return your phone to its original state and noone could ever tell it was jail broken ever.

Do NOT take your phone to an Apple Store if you're having trouble after Jailbreaking. They will not help you unless its returned to its normal state - which is very easy to do with a simple connection to iTunes.

Actually, jailbreaking does void the warranty. That's why we restore before taking into Apple store.

Actually, jailbreaking does void the warranty. That's why we restore before taking into Apple store.
Can you cite your source on that Zig? Though it's probably a moot point in the end - since once a restore is done a jailbreak could never be detected.

pianoman said:
Can you cite your source on that Zig? Though it's probably a moot point in the end - since once a restore is done a jailbreak could never be detected.

Yup. Jut open the iPhones Terms of service contract.

Any modification Apple's stock software or hardware voids the warranty. It only makes perfect sense. Why would unlocking void it and jailbreaking not?

Any Genius is suppose to refuse service to anyone thy has came in with a jailbroken iPhone. Not only that....but pu can't go home, restore it, then bring it back....it voids the warranty indefinitely.

Of coarse this also depends on if the particular Genius you happens to give you a break....and service you....but they re not suppose to do that.

My friend works at the Apple store in Pittsburgh.

Yup. Jut open the iPhones Terms of service contract.

Any modification Apple's stock software or hardware voids the warranty. It only makes perfect sense. Why would unlocking void it and jailbreaking not?

Any Genius is suppose to refuse service to anyone thy has came in with a jailbroken iPhone. Not only that....but pu can't go home, restore it, then bring it back....it voids the warranty indefinitely.

Of coarse this also depends on if the particular Genius you happens to give you a break....and service you....but they re not suppose to do that.

My friend works at the Apple store in Pittsburgh.
Yeah.. Well he's obviously not a lawyer. :). I checked this out thoroughly with legal folks. Jailbreaking does NOT technically "modify" Apple's existing software in the moment - in loading a jailbreak - you are loading a different software entirely - from a legal perspective that is. :).

But unlocking is a change of "hardware/firmware". That's why it voids the warranty. But to date there's been no legal case to test this.

I will agree though with the assertion: Jailbreak at your own risk - warrantywise. I'm good with that.

I checked this out thoroughly with legal folks. Jailbreaking does NOT technically "modify" Apple's existing software in the moment

I don't know who your legal folks are, but I would have them fired immediately. Jailbreaking modifies the software INSTANTLY and breaks the ToS of every single cell phone carrier and Apple.

The proof of modification is the fact that you can side load apps without using the iTunes store and you altered the behavior of iOS by allowing access to ROOT.

pianoman said:
Yeah.. Well he's obviously not a lawyer. :). I checked this out thoroughly with legal folks. Jailbreaking does NOT technically "modify" Apple's existing software in the moment - in loading a jailbreak - you are loading a different software entirely - from a legal perspective that is. :).

But unlocking is a change of "hardware/firmware". That's why it voids the warranty. But to date there's been no legal case to test this.

I will agree though with the assertion: Jailbreak at your own risk - warrantywise. I'm good with that.

Well jailbreaking itself does not modify the software. That's not what I implied. Jailbreaking allows you to modify the software.....hence the fact that it will void your warranty.

Well jailbreaking itself does not modify the software.

Yes, it does. iOS operates differently after you have jailbroken it. Think about it this way. Does the jailbreak allow you to do ANYTHING beyond the original intention of Apple? If you answer yes, then the software HAS TO BE altered to allow that to happen.