What's new

What does jailbreak mean

Skull One said:
Yes, it does. iOS operates differently after you have jailbroken it. Think about it this way. Does the jailbreak allow you to do ANYTHING beyond the original intention of Apple? If you answer yes, then the software HAS TO BE altered to allow that to happen.

Not exactly.

Jailbreaking does nothing but make a couple extra directories and install Cydia.

Mobile Substrate modifies the OS. Which is not installed until ou decide to install it, or something that depends on it....which is almost everything.

Not exactly.

Jailbreaking does nothing but make a couple extra directories and install Cydia.

Mobile Substrate modifies the OS. Which is not installed until ou decide to install it, or something that depends on it....which is almost everything.

Ok, so to make sure we are on the same playing field, the initial jailbreak doesn't modify a single operational file of iOS? How does the jailbreak survive a reboot on an untethered jailbreak then???? That to me means something was modified in iOS to allow the survival.

Skull One said:
Ok, so to make sure we are on the same playing field, the initial jailbreak doesn't modify a single operational file of iOS? How does the jailbreak survive a reboot on an untethered jailbreak then???? That to me means something was modified in iOS to allow the survival.

I think jailbreaking itself does modify the iOS. Scratch that:/.

It is my understanding that jailbreaking adds a couple directories and Cydia....and uses custom kernals to bypass foreign software installations.

What I didn't think for some reason is that to modify something....is to change something....but now that I think of, Cydia Actually does change things (modify) by simply moving the applications folder and adding a couple directories.....which isn't exactly changing whats there....but it is...because one directory is being moved...and a couple are being added.

So never mind....I was wrong.

Jailbreaking does modify the iOS....jut not the way one would think it does.

I think I'm retarded. Or baked from being in the sun for 12 hours .........one or the other.

and uses custom kernals to bypass foreign software installations

There is the answer to both of our question. Thank you for that. And don't worry about the rest, it ain't no big thang. ;)

There is the answer to both of our question. Thank you for that. And don't worry about the rest, it ain't no big thang. ;)
Yeah. It is a bit splitting hairs on the "modify" definition. But remember Bill Clinton changed the way we're allowed to even define "is".. Lol!!!! That's why Apple could never win a case stating Jailbreaking is a 'modification' of their code.

The take away point in all this which is why I responded so pointedly to the other poster was that Jailbreaking is nothing to be feared since a full restore puts it back in a state undetectable by Apple. So there's no way they can detect a former jailbreak. Now if you're dolt enough to walk into an Apple store with it jail broken that's on you if you're warranty is voided... ;-)

it means that you have full access to your phone, but it also means that you need to be careful with system update n stuff, otherwise, you will end up with an expensive itouch!