What's new

What do I do before leaving the country?

jmcs

Reaction score
Before travelling to the USA, what do I have to do or set to ensure that I do not incur any extra charges? I have heard of others running up huge bills and do not want any unpleasant surprises when I get home.

Airplane Mode On?

Data Roaming Off?

Both of the above?

Can I use any of my apps while out of the country, like the alarm clock?

I assume I can use my Kindle app without further charge if the books are already downloaded?

You can use anything that doesn't use data or voice. You can do airplane mode, data roaming off, and still use regular apps and wifi :)

That is good to know that I can still use Wi-Fi, thanks, but do I need to keep Data Roaming Off and Airplane Mode ON? Do I adjust both of those while on the plane and in the USA? Are the any other settings I need to change to make sure there are no extra charges?

I have heard a lot of people say to keep the Airplane Mode on when out of the country but they don't meniton DR. Do other phones not have the Data Roaming option?

I am a little paranoid to the point where I considered leaving my phone at home because I know many people who ran into humongous charges, one close to $2000.

Defiantly keep data roaming off. Just a few mb of data using another service providers network can be very costly.

If you go into settings > general > network, under data roaming it explains this to you...

I have been told to keep Cellular Data Off, too.

I don't think cellular data will work abroad if you keep data roaming off so there's no point having it on anyway.

Correct me if I'm wrong...

I went to the store where I purchased my phone yesterday. They told me:

Airplane Mode On (only on plane. People have told me whenever out of country. They must think it is the same as Data Roaming)

Data Roaming Off

Cellular Data Off

The pity is that I have all these wonderful apps that would be so great for travel, but I won't be able to use them. :(

I don't think cellular data will work abroad if you keep data roaming off so there's no point having it on anyway.

Correct me if I'm wrong...

It depends. For gsm phones, the data actually does work if you don't turn it off. My friend got owned with charges bc his emails updated and he forgot to turn his data off.
This was about a year ago though. Maybe theyve come up with some kind of warning double-check system?