What's new

How do you evaluate apps?

Janknitz

Reaction score
I just got my VW iPhone4 today :)

One of the apps I need really quickly is a good clock/alarm. I would like it to act as a desk clock, but more importantly I need alarms for morning wakeup.

On my Palm Centro (don't laugh, it's paid for!) I was using a program called Butler for the alarms. If you know that program, you'll have some idea of what I'm looking for in an alarm app.

Reading the reviews in the iTunes store is confusing at best. There are lots of people gushing over X app, but then there are a few who complain a lot. Which are the shills? Are there just disgruntled people who like to kvetch about everything, or are all the gushing 5 star reviews shills and liars? How do you decide which app to get when the reviews are so mixed?

It's not that I'd be putting out so much money, but I don't want to clutter my new precious with crap, either. Especially if it will cause problems and conflicts on my phone. Any hints or tips in choosing apps?

And any suggestions for an alarm app, ideally with a built in clock for use on my desk or bedside?

Thanks,
J

Check to see if the apps have a free/lite version. I'm sure some of them do. Gives you a taste of the full app. If it's rubbish it's easy to delete it an no money wasted...

A little simple maybe, but I am using and satisfied with the alarm function under the "Utilities" icon/ "Clock". It can set multiple alarm times for each day of the week, and you choose the alarm sound from any of your ringtone list.