What's new

What Comprises "Other"?

NoBite

Reaction score
When you actually connect to a computer and sync to iTunes you'll get a graphical readout of amount of space devoted to books, audio, photos, apps, etc and the category "other". As I am always I danger of maxing out my available resources, I would like a breakdown of "other".

Is there an app that will give me a detail of that? Is there a hidden feature in the OS to show it?

Just curious if I have little-used files or anything at all that I could delete to free up space. I have pruned back in the other categories and wonder what might be available in "other". Thanks!

Basically everything that's not listed, like Notes, Contacts, Text/iMessages, any files that you might have transferred over through FTP or rooting, something along the lines. If your device is jailbroken, then that's where all the jailbroken items are.

Great! Not jail broken. I will see if there is much I can delete. Thanks!

Curious, is there an app that will reveal the size of the files in the "other" category? It might be some sort of file management app, if such an app exists.

Sent using Tapatalk HD

On a stock device, AFAIK not really. You can try to see if iFunBox or iExplorer can help you break it down on your computer, but I don't think so.

Thanks for the tips. I will investigate those programs. Next time I upgrade, I will get a larger capacity iPhone! I underestimated how I would use this device. OTOH, I have way more than enough space on my iPad2. Biggest difference is I find that I do not listen to music on the iPad, whereas I have a ton of music on the iPhone. And, I have a great many podcasts on the iPhone, none on the iPad. Odd how that worked out.

Hey, thanks for your replies!

No problem! It's a little awkward carrying your iPad around and listening to it as opposed to an iPhone in your pocket. I still do it, but then it sets you back one hand as you have to hold onto it.

I found on my 4s that other had a lot of space taken up for sync/backup data because I hadn't synced in quite some time. I turned off the sync and backup, reset and turned them back on - instantly found 12GB freed up that had been under 'other'
Not saying that is it, but it is what I found on mine.