What's new

iPhone5 "Other" taking up 9GB of space on my phone, need some help!

avjp87

Reaction score
Morning everyone, yesterday I moved all of my videos from my iphone to my computer to free up space on my phone. I had about 550MB left of space so I had to move the videos off my phone. So after I did that, I synced my phone and now "Other" is taking up 9.6GB of space on my phone, now I have 741MB of space left. For the life of me, I can't figure out what's taking up that much space. My "Music" is using 2.9GB, that's the highest amount being used on my phone by anything. The next thing is "Photos and Camera" which is sing 168MB.

What the heck did I do? or What the heck is going on?

PS: Adding a screenshot of my iTunes to show yah the "Other" Thanks everyone $iphone 5 screenshot upload.jpg

Application, application data (such as save files for games, etc etc), text messages, cached messages like from AIM or WhatsApp, Contacts, etc. Those would be the general items that fall under Others.

Application, application data (such as save files for games, etc etc), text messages, cached messages like from AIM or WhatsApp, Contacts, etc. Those would be the general items that fall under Others.

ok, i don't have AIM or whatsapp on my phone. And in general I don't have many apps on it. The weird thing is that before I moved my videos to my computer, the "Other" was not at 9.6GB, it was some where around 2GB. then all of a sudden a big spike like that? I thought I was reading it wrong when I saw it. This is a screenshot of my phone right now.$usage.jpg

Usage does not account for text messages or some larger scale application data. If you open up your Message.app, and you have about 20 conversations going on, and in each one, you have to tap the "Load older messages" 20+ times (exaggerated) to get to the start or even the middle of the conversation, you need to start clearing them out. Same problem on my old 3GS. Storage was being zapped away within 2 weeks, from about 8GB to 600MB. Cleared most of the junk and apps and I only had about 900MB. Started clearing out the Bibles of text messages I had, skyrocketed back to 6GB.

i think apple really needs to start putting micro sd slots into there phones. if your in videos especially HD ones. a single movie can take up to 4-6 gigs of storage. that means you can only have a max of maybe 10-15 vids on 64gig iphone. that is un-acceptable.

If that's the case, they'd most likely create their own type of external flash memory. Micro SD developers mass produce them at low costs and sell them for a low price to attract the market. If Apple were to create a flash memory slot, they'd have to create their own form factor and chip to keep the consumer base in their favor since they want to stay an all-around electronics giant.

Everyone would end up buying an 8GB iPhone or iDevice, then jam in a 64GB+ Micro SD or carry multiple ones around them. It'll cost about 2-3 64GB MicroSD + an 8GB iPhone to reach the cost of a 16/32 GB iPhone, and that's contract pricing. So you have almost quintuple the storage with Micro SDs than an internal iPhone's storage, so Apple'll lose the market for the larger storage iPhones and the SD developing companies will make the remaining dollars that Apple couldn't attract. Now if they made something similar to the SD, where it's equally as small but unique to Apple products, then they'd still be able to grab the market. They don't have to make it expensive. If say a 16GB "Apple SD" goes for $10-15. That's $10-15 more that goes to them.

Usage does not account for text messages or some larger scale application data. If you open up your Message.app, and you have about 20 conversations going on, and in each one, you have to tap the "Load older messages" 20+ times (exaggerated) to get to the start or even the middle of the conversation, you need to start clearing them out. Same problem on my old 3GS. Storage was being zapped away within 2 weeks, from about 8GB to 600MB. Cleared most of the junk and apps and I only had about 900MB. Started clearing out the Bibles of text messages I had, skyrocketed back to 6GB.

I was hoping that's what I had to do when I first noticed this, but doing that didn't do anything. I'm flabbergasted by this