What's new

were sharing 1 email address on 2 i6's went to2 can't change Icloud email address

Willy Dee

Reaction score
My wife and I have been sharing 1 email address between 2 i6's and have had significant problems such as both phones ringing on incoming calls, messages sent to one phone going to both, and other bothersome issues.
We just established a second email address, but I am having problems making that work.

The main problem seems to be that Apple won't let me update the primary email address in Icloud on my wife's phone. It continues to be set at my old email address and when I try to replace it it only lets me edit the password.
My wife is able to receive email on with her new email address but cannot delete any of the mail.
Other problems may be lurking, but the is the major on brought about by the new email address.

She needs to sign out of iCloud, then sign in with her own email address and password. You can still both use the same iTunes ID. But iCloud, iMessage, and FaceTime should be different.
She has to delete the iCloud account.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

She needs to sign out of iCloud, then sign in with her own email address and password. You can still both use the same iTunes ID. But iCloud, iMessage, and FaceTime should be different.
She has to delete the iCloud account.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

I deleted and re-added her iCloud account and that updated her email address in ICloud but she is still unable to delete any mail from her inbox.

Restart her iPhone and force close the Mail app: double tap the Home button to show the multitask bar, slide the thumbnail above the Mail app icon towards the top of the screen.

Hope that helps.