What's new

New iPhone setup in iTunes Info(2 questions)

Zell1948

Reaction score
I hope I'm in the right section to ask this. Please forgive if not.
We recently purchase two new iPhones. We set them up in iTunes as instructed and all was great! On the third day, my phone developed a problem with WiFi. I took it back and got a replacement. When I took it home, plugged it in to the computer and initiated iTunes to retrieve my apps etc from iCloud, it recognized the new unit and asked me to register, so I did. When that was finished I noticed that "My Info" had my wife's phone number in it. I have not been able to see a way to change it.
1, Does anyone know of a way to edit the general info about me?
I am thinking that I need to do this on the pages where I filled in my name address, phone etc. But, that page NEVER popped-up during the registration of the new unit.

2. When we use iTunes with our iPhones, does iTunes look at the phone's serial number, my email address, name or what to decide which phone/account to bring up. The reason I am asking is that a few of my apps are showing up on my wife's phone.

Thanks to anyone who can help us with this.

1) Restore the device and set it up as new. But this time, log off of your wife's AppleID on iTunes before setting it up. But normally, all you have to do is restore through iTunes, unplug, and set up the device then and there and it should work fine, just like when you got the device from your carrier and such.

2) Everything basically revolves around your AppleID. Each iPhone should have their own AppleID, which I think is mandatory ever since iOS 5 or you'll be pretty restricted with Apple services.

Thanks Willerz2. I did all of that and her number is still in my phone as my number. This is getting frustrating because there HAS to be a way to do this. The bad thing is I don't know whether her phone number is being displayed in my phone because of iTunes or vice versa!
Wonder if the folks at the Apple Store would know? Hmmm?
Any other ideas? If not, I'll go up there and see what they think. I'll post how this thing turns out.

Check her phone to make sure which sim is in which phone. You may have turned in the one with her sim in it

Took the phone to our local Apple store. They had never seen anything like that. I had both phones with me. They called Verizon and had them reactivate my phone with its correct phone number. Today I will connect it with iTunes to retrieve the apps I had d/l'd. I'm very hesitant to do it because I don't know whether iTunes controls the phones data or the phone tells iTunes what the correct data is. The lady at the Apple Genius Bar gave me the Verizon tech support number for reactivation in case it happens again. In which case I should also contact iTunes Tech support to report whats happening. Will supply an update here once I have re-synced.

It's a carrier problem. When I first upgraded one of my family lines for my dad, we used my number's upgrade for it, and it ended up stealing my number onto his phone when all we wanted to do was use the upgrade. If they correct it on the carrier end, just make sure that you log on to your own iTunes account at home, and set it up again as your device.

Do you have your preferences set to not sync automatically? Edit>preferences>devices>prevent iphones,etc from syncing automatically.

Update: The phone seems fine now. As I had stated, I was hesitant to sync because I didn't know whether iTunes told the phone what it was or vise versa. So, this time I opened iTunes without the phone being plugged it. I was going to attempt to turn off "auto-Sync" prior to plugging in(as suggested also by "xrayeyes" above.
I couldn't figure out how to gain access to the settings so I plugged in the phone. Much to my surprise and joy, iTunes already had the correct phone name AND number. Apparently all of this pain was caused by Verizon when they activated my new unit. I do remember the guy kept leaving to ask questions of others. He must have been a rookie. That rookie sure caused me a lot of heartache!
Anyway, thanks to all who tried to help. I really do appreciate the efforts. :)

You don't have to have your phone plugged in to turn off sync. The settings are at the top left when you open iTunes under "Edit". The settings are for the behavior of iTunes, not the behavior of your phone, if that makes sense.

Yep, it makes good sense. Maybe its just me, but I don't consider iTunes to be very "user friendly" at this point. Of course this IS my first experience with it and iPhone. We do have an iPad and really like it. I guess it will grow on me. :) We're seriously looking at a Mac Air and a Mac Pro so I guess I NEED to learn iTunes too. Thanks....

To be really frank, the iPad is probably the most versatile transferring device. I've transferred songs, pictures, videos, etc, to and from the device on multiple computers that does not have authorization in iTunes and they work. But overall, iTunes really isn't the best application. Most users opt for rooting applications like iFunBox and iExplorer and iTools and such on their PC/Mac, one, it allows you to root your device and you can transfer data to and from the device (with exceptions), two, the UI is very simple. You click the button labeled "Music" and it'll bring you to your Music directory, Pictures to your pictures, Videos to your videos, Applications to your applications, Contacts, Text Messages, etc etc. They're free as well.

Thanks for the tip. I will definitely check into them. I feel a little better now that I know my opinion of iTunes isn't unheard of and that I have options. :)