What's new

Weird ?!?!?

rooski

Reaction score
i finally got my iphone 4s after a 3 week wait . anyway i plugged it up to itunes to put some songs on it , and after i did that it showed that my music occupies 3.2 gb and that 3.7 is occupied by "Other" wtf ? i just have music and pandora on it and something is taking 3.7 gb of space ? any idea what it could be ?

rooski said:
i finally got my iphone 4s after a 3 week wait . anyway i plugged it up to itunes to put some songs on it , and after i did that it showed that my music occupies 3.2 gb and that 3.7 is occupied by "Other" wtf ? i just have music and pandora on it and something is taking 3.7 gb of space ? any idea what it could be ?

Go to General>>> usage and see what u have on there

says music is taking 3.1 gb and pandora is taking 14.3 mb , nothing about the extra 3.7gb . but it does say that 6.8 gb are being used. so something is using it :\

when i click on music in general>usage it says all music 3.1 gb

Last edited:
Welcome to iPF.net! The "Other" is a partition set up for the iOS & native apps factory installed on the phone.

Plug your iPhone up to your computer and open iTunes. Go to your device and look at the summary tab. There should be a multi color bar at the bottom that's telling you what's taking up space.

Plug your iPhone up to your computer and open iTunes. Go to your device and look at the summary tab. There should be a multi color bar at the bottom that's telling you what's taking up space.

It's most likely gonna tell him that it's "Other" as well. Please correct me if I'm wrong though...

thomasjtsi said:
It's most likely gonna tell him that it's "Other" as well. Please correct me if I'm wrong though...

Possibly. Which "other" contains caches, temp files, and the iOS firmware falls in that category. Which is 600-800MB. can't remember which. :)

If you jailbroken, tweaks and cydia apps fall in this category as well.

rooski said:
says music is taking 3.1 gb and pandora is taking 14.3 mb , nothing about the extra 3.7gb . but it does say that 6.8 gb are being used. so something is using it :\

when i click on music in general>usage it says all music 3.1 gb

Ok so its jus the phone settings software etc. the stuff needed to run your phone its the same on mines wen i plug it and i have a 16gig but wen i plug it in it says i have 13.60 gb to use

Unless im mistaken and there rlly is something on your phone taking up all that room

Don't have my phone it front of me... but I'm pretty sure it's 5.1GB. I have a lot of Cydia themes and tweaks installed, though.

Go to settings- About, and look for Capacity. If your on a 16GB device it should say 13.7. That's 2.3GB the stock firmware/software is using. The rest can be album artwork, temp files, caches, contacts, and a number of other things.

thomasjtsi said:
Don't have my phone it front of me... but I'm pretty sure it's 5.1GB. I have a lot of Cydia themes and tweaks installed, though.

That still sounds like too much. Though if you have a lot of themes installed, or other things, that could be what's taking 5.1GB. Tweaks don't take much space at all. Some themes do though. You can SSH a lot of temp files out, but I wouldn't recommend it. Unless you just really need the space.

That's the good thing about it... I'm not hurting for the room. I just keep a few hundred songs in rotation w/ some pics every now and again. So I still have between 4-6GB free space. I do have quite a few themes just sitting... prolly should get rid of the ones I never use anymore.