What's new

Weird - text message from my son coming from my email?!?

nzfiona

Reaction score
I hope someone can help me with this issue.

My son, who is at a sleepover as I type this, sent me a text message earlier from his iPhone to my iPhone, saying good morning. Sweet, huh? Awww.... However, instead of his name coming up as the sender, the displayed name was my own email address! So in fact my first reaction to seeing a 'Good morning' message was, "Who the Hell is this?!?".

How can this happen? I got him to send a quick message to his father, who said our son's name came up as the sender of that message.

The only way a message can be sent from my personal email address is by using my 'puter (which I am using now) or via my iPhone (this I have only done twice as I prefer to tend to my email through my computer). My email address is on my contacts list, nor is it associated with my son's contact details in any way.

So....any ideas on how my 12 year old son managed to send me a text message from his iPhone to mine using my email address? It is a worry as I had sudden visions of someone hacking into my computer to send me a text message. And while my son is savvy where technology is concerned, he doesn't know how to hack into anything, and has no wish to (he's a very rules- and laws-bound boy and is horrified when people hack into systems LOL).

Fiona

My son, who is at a sleepover as I type this, sent me a text message earlier from his iPhone to my iPhone, saying good morning. Sweet, huh? Awww.... However, instead of his name coming up as the sender, the displayed name was my own email address! So in fact my first reaction to seeing a 'Good morning' message was, "Who the Hell is this?!?".

How can this happen? I got him to send a quick message to his father, who said our son's name came up as the sender of that message.

The only way a message can be sent from my personal email address is by using my 'puter (which I am using now) or via my iPhone (this I have only done twice as I prefer to tend to my email through my computer). My email address is on my contacts list, nor is it associated with my son's contact details in any way.

So....any ideas on how my 12 year old son managed to send me a text message from his iPhone to mine using my email address? It is a worry as I had sudden visions of someone hacking into my computer to send me a text message. And while my son is savvy where technology is concerned, he doesn't know how to hack into anything, and has no wish to (he's a very rules- and laws-bound boy and is horrified when people hack into systems LOL).

Fiona

This has been answered over and over again. Search iMessage and it'll tell you what to do

Sent from my iPhone 4 iOS 5.0.1 using Tapatalk

I actually searched prior to putting up this post, and have just finished going through posts that have queries about text messaging and emails. But I haven't yet found a post that has this issue.

I actually searched prior to putting up this post, and have just finished going through posts that have queries about text messaging and emails. But I haven't yet found a post that has this issue.

Ok I'll give you the answer 😄

Go to general and scroll down to messages. Click into this. You'll now see iMessage at the top is on. Scroll down until you come to received at. Click into this. At the bottom says caller ID click into this and choose phone number instead of email. Simples!

Sent from my iPhone 4 iOS 5.0.1 using Tapatalk

Thanks. My husband discovered this last night - pretty sure that's exactly what he did. I think because I upgraded my iPhone with OS 5 the other night, so we think this issue arose from that upgrade, as my DS already had the upgrade on his own iPhone.

okay i have at&t iphone 4 and when i use imessage it comes up from my email HOWEVER i have read where i need to goto the caller id option and select my number instead of email BUT i dont have that option HELP!!!!!

Fiona

Right okay, i have done the go into settings and messages and into receive at etc etc my phone is set to receive messsages at my mobile number but when i send an imessage, it comes up on the other persons phone with my email address and not my number or the name im saved in their contacts with? HELP! When i receive messages its all fine jat when i send them they receieve them with my email!!

The same thing happened to me when receiving a new Iphone. It is super stressfull because anyone who was sending you texts to your phone number... you never got them. Anyway he is the solution:::

Settings>Messages>Receive at>Click your apple ID (the email address) > Change Location.

For some reason I wasn't receiving my texts at my phone number because United States was not selected as a location. After this, if I remember correctly you need to select your phone number as the receiving address. If that doesn't fix your problem log out of your apple ID and log back in. Hope this helps!