What's new

How does Iphone that received text msg from desktop PC email know my Iphone #

pcumming

Reaction score
How does Iphone that received a text msg from desktop PC Yahoo email know my Iphone phone #

Okay,
There is prob a simple answer to this. I send emails from Yahoo email on my DESKTOP PC (not another phone) to various peoples phones

From Removed as part of forum policy (sent from Desktop PC using Yahoo web email)
To: phone#@vtext.com (vtext.com is verizon).
This sends the email as a text msg to their phone from my PC.

If they have an Android phone and reply to my Yahoo sent text message (from PC), it returns their reply back to my email address as it should.

If they have an Iphone and reply to the msg sent from my PC Yahoo email, it sends the reply as a text message to --MY-- Iphone. However note, it does not matter if my phone# is in their contact list or not (I have 3 phones). Again as a reminder the email text msg was sent from Yahoo via my work desktop email.

Perhaps there is a middleman here (apple) that knows I have an Iphone and matches my email address to my iphone cell #?

This is highly repeatable.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Peter

Last edited by a moderator:
If your email address is on file as either a primary account (iTunes, iCloud, FaceTime, etc) or it is registered as a secondary email (FaceTime, Game Center, etc) then yes, if the iOS device receiving the email is using the iMessage protocol, it has the needed routing information to reply back to your phone number. To confirm this, simply create a new email address and send an email from it immediately without ever attaching it to your Apple account. It should then work as you originally expected.

If you want to have real fun, create a new email account and add it only to your FaceTime account. The try to create an iCloud, iTunes, or Game Center account with that email address. Even though it is only used in one place for a secondary function the email is locked from creating a new account. Spent many hours playing with that nifty bug.

Hmm, Interesting, considering I am sending the text msg from a desktop PC using Yahoo email and not from an Iphone.
Thanks
Peter