What's new

Sending SMS Texts from a connected PC

322lima

Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone here know if it's possible to send SMS texts through an iPhone from the PC it's connected to?

I've had Windows Mobile phones since they first came out and now I'm not sure whether to upgrade to a new Windows Phone (which is entirely different) or switch to something else like an iPhone or Android. So I've been using my girlfriend's old iPhone 3G to see how I like it (she has a new 4GS).

With Windows Mobile I used an app on my PC called Jeyo Connector which controlled many aspects of the phone, including sending/receiving SMS. If a new message came in, it would pop up on the PC like an IM, and I could type a reply on the PC. The SMS was sent by the phone, so it had the same caller ID that the sender would be expecting. From other threads I've read elsewhere, it seems other makes of phone have, or had, similar solutions (e.g. Nokia).

All of the solutions I've seen so far for the iPhone work somewhat but have drawbacks. With Google Voice or by sending an email to the phone's SMS email address means the sender won't see the caller ID they were expecting (and can't reply to it). Using the providers website (e.g. AT&T) works sometimes but you have you go to the website, log in, then type the recipients phone number, before you can even start typing the text.

Basically, I'm looking for a way to send, receive and reply to texts (through my iPhone) when I'm sitting at my desk with a full-size keyboard in front of me (so I don't have to type on the iPhone screen). I'm surprised there aren't more people asking about this, and why a solution doesn't seem to already exist, so I'm wondering if I'm missing something really obvious.

Any ideas?

Thanks!