What's new

Water damaged iPhone 4

rcooper82

Reaction score
Hi all,

New to the forum so any advice back would be welcome, or where to post this thread.

Had my iphone 4 for about 7 months. Dropped it in water the other day be mistake, only in for about two seconds.
Got it out dried it off, it stopped working after about 1 minute. Tired to turn it back on, didn't work (now realise that I shouldn't of tried that).
Had a look on the web what to do, took back case off and sim card out, put in a bag with silica gel for a few days.
It now turns on, but only when plugged into the charger. It does not pick up the sim at all and I think wi-fi is not working. As soon as i take it off charge it goes off.

Any ideas anybody, no apple care or insurance. Warrenty is probably gone with the water indicators. Would welcome any advice.

Welcome,

Sounds like the battery is fried. Getting a new one would be the best place to start but your phone could be severly damaged. You won't know until you try a new battery but then it could be a waste of money...

Gaz,

Thanks for that. I'll try a cheap battery from eBay and take it from there. I may be back in touch!!!

Remember changing the battery isn't a simple job. I don't know exactly what it involves but it's not just a case of taking the back cover off and popping it out...

got a new battery, slapped it in and it now works fine! thanks for the help

got a new battery, slapped it in and it now works fine! thanks for the help

Really?? I read that changing the battery is quite tricky. And that it's held in place really firmly. Piece of cake, huh? Where's you get the new battery from? You didn't get one from eBay that quickly, did ya?