What's new

Water Damage! Is it gone forever?

bailor

Reaction score
I've had my iPhone 6S for 2 & 1/2 months. It's still brand new! So frustrating! Anyway, I jumped into a pool with it in my pocket. I remembered as I was falling into the pool but it was too late. I immediately pulled it from my pocket and out of the water. I had an Otterbox Commuter case, which guards the headphone and charging ports. This is the first time I'd ever done anything like this, so i did some things I shouldn't have (according to a few google searches). I turned it off and tried sucking any water out of all the openings of the phone. I noticed nothing came from the ear speaker or sim hole. But I did notice water from the headphone jack and bottom speaker area. I only waited overnight before turning it back on. It turned on and worked fine for about 12 hours. I thought I was safe. Then about 12 hours after powering it on and using it normally all day, the screen displayed as weird pattern and froze. Then went black. (Again, I hadn't searched google yet). I tried to charge it :(. Nothing happened except it made some weird noises. I unplugged it, and it's been a week. I tried again, and nothing. I'm not going to give up yet, I ordered a suction tool and screwdriver. My next plan is to open it and try to... I don't know, see if there's any water in there to dry out. Any advice is appreciated. Or is it just dead forever? Ugh..

My daughter dropped her iPhone 5s into a sink full of water. We immediately turned it off and stuck it in a bag of rice. 24 hours later it worked perfectly.

Did you get AppleCare+ when you bought the iPhone? If so, you're covered for up to 2 incidents of accidental damage. Before you attempt any self repair, take it to the nearest Apple Store for a Genius Bar appointment. They can run a full diagnostic to see exactly what damage was caused by the water. They'll also give you a repair cost if you don't have AppleCare+.