What's new

Virus scan

jockmcd

Reaction score
Can an iphone get a virus , is there a virus scan software that can be done on the iphone 4 ?

Viruses are NOT POSSIBLE on any modern smartphone currently in production.

The worst you can get is a Trojan. And this requires you to download the app, install the app and then run the app.

Now before anyone chimes in with "Android can be backdoor-ed to allow an app to download without the users consent", yes that is possible but the install system still asks for the user authoritarian to accept permissions for that app.

So is there software to scan for trojans ?

Not that I am aware of. Mostly because Apple pre-screens apps before they are released on the market.

Viruses are NOT POSSIBLE on any modern smartphone currently in production.

The worst you can get is a Trojan. And this requires you to download the app, install the app and then run the app.

Yes, iPhones can have viruses, are you going to get one? Not likely. I think in the history of the iPhone there have been maybe 3 or 4 actual harmful apps and usually, like Skull One pointed out, they don't spread. Security Expert Charlie Miller just demonstrated yesterday how non-jailbroken phones can be attacked by an app from the app store with hidden code that would allow Charlie to steal address book, messages, phone log etc, as well as sending remote commands to the infected device(vibrate, ring, etc).

If you're jailbroken and you have OpenSSH installed, just be sure to change your SSH password and you should be fine. No, there are no virus scanning apps for the iPhone.

Last edited by a moderator:
By definition a virus is self replicating and requires no interaction on the part of the user of the device other than to turn the device physically on. The method of spreading has to be thru some sort of physical contact with another infected device. Be that thru an internet connection or cable connection.

A trojan and worm on the other hand requires the user to do something to activate the payload.

There have been NO viruses on non jailbroken iOS devices to date. Only trojans and worms, with the most recent one being deployed by Charlie Miller.

Thanks guys that was some intresting stuff , cheers .

I think most users wouldn't know the difference between a virus, trojan or worm, so would just class them all the same. A year or so ago I would of done the same...

I just thought my phone was getting rather slow its an i phone4 and have nothing running in the background when this is happening ?

I just thought my phone was getting rather slow its an i phone4 and have nothing running in the background when this is happening ?

Fragmentation, just like on a computer, after a while the hard disk gets fragmented and slows things down. When that happens just do a fresh restore and you should notice a considerable increase in performance.

Fragmentation, just like on a computer, after a while the hard disk gets fragmented and slows things down. When that happens just do a fresh restore and you should notice a considerable increase in performance.

+1000

Jmills87 said:

Great advice. I just did this and my phone feels like new!

What do you mean ? Would i have to rejailbreak again etc where and what should i do ?