What's new

Video/Photo Question

The Lost Dutchman

Reaction score
I shot some video clips from my iPhone 4s yesterday and emailed them to friends and family. Some people reported the video clips played back upside-down or sideways on their P.C.'s, depending on what the camera orientation was when the video was taken. Others said they played back correctly. I thought there was some code embedded in the video that would automatically play them right-side up no matter what the orientation of the camera was. Any ideas on what causes that issue and what to do to correct it? Does it matter which side is up when shooting video with the iPhone? Thanks in advance. Bill

The Lost Dutchman said:
I shot some video clips from my iPhone 4s yesterday and emailed them to friends and family. Some people reported the video clips played back upside-down or sideways on their P.C.'s, depending on what the camera orientation was when the video was taken. Others said they played back correctly. I thought there was some code embedded in the video that would automatically play them right-side up no matter what the orientation of the camera was. Any ideas on what causes that issue and what to do to correct it? Does it matter which side is up when shooting video with the iPhone? Thanks in advance. Bill

The reason this happens i think is because these video were made to played on your iDevice. Not any where else. I'm guessing.

Perhaps of the emailed videos were played in iTunes, they would always e right side up?

Just some speculation on that. Don't know for sure.

Hi Zig9449, thanks for the input.

Just from doing my own experimentation, here's what I think is happening: .MOV files have code embedded in the video that gives tha camera orientation that works similarly to EXIF meta data in still pictures. Some P.C. media player programs pick up on the data and play the videos correctly and some do not. My laptop runs Windows Vista, has some video and photo editing programs on board, and gets it right every time. My wife's laptop runs Windows 7, has only Windows Media Player, and gets it wrong everytime. I shot video clips from each orientation and the only one her computer gets right is when I shoot the video with the camera lens in the upper-left position and the Home button to the right. BTW: I did manage to use a video format converter to rotate the video clips on her computer, but did lose some clarity and definition in the process. But at least they play upside-right. For anyone interested, I found the info for Any Video Converter on CNET

Moderation Notice:​ This post has been edited by the iPhoneForums staff in accordance with the Forum Rules No External Links

As is customary, the paid version of this software has a lot more bells and whistles, and I belive allows for 180 degree rotation and flips, but the free version, which offers only 90 degree rotations and flips, worked just fine for me.