What's new

iPhone 4 Video Questions

MikeSD

Reaction score
There are some annoyances that maybe someone has a solution for.

1) If I take a vertical formatted video (i.e. just hold the camera vertical and shoot). And then copy it to my PC and then put it back to my iPhone, the video is rotated.

It plays in the vertical orientation, properly, before the move. But after it's brought back, it's rotated. I can't get a full frame video unless it's shown vertical in the horizontal mode, making a very tiny video. Seems like the video should, forever, be saved and played in the format created. I know that movies are usually done in a horizontal frame but if someone takes one in another orientation, seems it should be left in that orientation. Very annoying.

2) Is there any way to put these videos in folders, like my photos, without using an external program?

3) When I move videos to my Vista PC, all I see are quicktime icons. No thumbnails. This is annoying and makes it very difficult to organize videos, using text name alone. Why don't videos show with thumbnails, just like every other photo or video I have. It's only the quicktime ones that don't. Any solution to this, without buying an external application.

4) in iTunes, when I drop videos into the library, the thumbnails are missing. I get a thumbnail but it's the same thumbnail for every video. Looks to be the thumbnail for the first video that is simply repeated for each video. How do I make iTunes generate thumbnails unique to each video?

There are some annoyances that maybe someone has a solution for.

1) If I take a vertical formatted video (i.e. just hold the camera vertical and shoot). And then copy it to my PC and then put it back to my iPhone, the video is rotated.

It plays in the vertical orientation, properly, before the move. But after it's brought back, it's rotated. I can't get a full frame video unless it's shown vertical in the horizontal mode, making a very tiny video. Seems like the video should, forever, be saved and played in the format created. I know that movies are usually done in a horizontal frame but if someone takes one in another orientation, seems it should be left in that orientation. Very annoying.

2) Is there any way to put these videos in folders, like my photos, without using an external program?

3) When I move videos to my Vista PC, all I see are quicktime icons. No thumbnails. This is annoying and makes it very difficult to organize videos, using text name alone. Why don't videos show with thumbnails, just like every other photo or video I have. It's only the quicktime ones that don't. Any solution to this, without buying an external application.

4) in iTunes, when I drop videos into the library, the thumbnails are missing. I get a thumbnail but it's the same thumbnail for every video. Looks to be the thumbnail for the first video that is simply repeated for each video. How do I make iTunes generate thumbnails unique to each video?

So let me gets this straight. When you take a video off your phone, put it on a pc, then back on your phone, the video no longer plays vertically? If that is what youre saying then my question is why even take the video off at all? If you just want a copy on your computer then copy it but dont delete it from your phone.
Also, to get a thumbnail view of videos instead of the quicktime icon, go into the folder options for where the videos are being stored and change the view from icon to thumbnail.
As for the video playing horizontally, any videos that you put on your phone from an external source will always only be able to play horizontally. Unfortunately, thats just how the software works. A video taken with the phones camera can play vertically but thats the only exception. Stupid i know.

So let me gets this straight. When you take a video off your phone, put it on a pc, then back on your phone, the video no longer plays vertically? If that is what youre saying then my question is why even take the video off at all?
Because that's not all I want to do. I want to edit it. I just kept the process simple, so someone wouldn't think it was something that happened as a result of editing. Just moving it, causes the rotation.

Also, to get a thumbnail view of videos instead of the quicktime icon, go into the folder options for where the videos are being stored and change the view from icon to thumbnail.

That's not an option on Vista. There isn't a thumbnail option. Only Extra large, large, medium, etc. And that's not the problem, in any case. But I do see thumbnails of all my photos and other videos. Just not for the quicktime ones.