What's new

Verizon Wireless Will End Unlimited Data Plans for IPhone - Thoughts?

I wouldn't worry about it. For all we know, in 2 years data may be much cheaper then we are paying now - or the technology may be radically different and all of this is a moot point.

No point in freaking out now

Great point.

But then again, data has been getting more and more expensive these days

Actually I dont think so. Its been 30 bucks for as long as i can remember. Its not following inflation. But the reason I got unlimited in the first place was I got gouged for going over a low plan. They really taxed me. More than they do now when you go over.

Great point.

Actually I dont think so. Its been 30 bucks for as long as i can remember. Its not following inflation. But the reason I got unlimited in the first place was I got gouged for going over a low plan. They really taxed me. More than they do now when you go over.

Well it did say in the News Report that they are changing it because they are loosing money and it effects the bandwith, so of course it will cost more unless you dont use data at all.........if you mostly use your iphone for calling only and no moving data.....yeah it will probably benefit you because it will be cheaper....but if you use alot of data it will for sure not be cheaper instead it will cost you more......

I think this is just a trap, because they started the forced 30 dollar a month data plan because the phones are able to transfer large amounts of data...so if you decided to get a smart phone that did this you had to pay the data plan.....if you dont transfer data then get a flip phone....so now they are going after the people using the phone for what it was built to do.....data transfer.....and i think it will only get worse.

But glad they at least will honor the contract for 2 years, because if they dont they have breached the contract and i will charge them for breach of contract....lol.

I wouldn't worry about it. For all we know, in 2 years data may be much cheaper then we are paying now - or the technology may be radically different and all of this is a moot point.

No point in freaking out now

Great point.

I guess it depends on what you call 'these days.' I was getting completely ass-raped by per/mb data charges 10 years ago in HS when there wasn't unlimitted or tiered....

You should also looks to the many carriers that are offereing 'truly unlimitted' plans, like Virgin Mobile, MetroPCS, etc. for $40-$50. They are also starting to carry some mainstream android / blackberry phones. If anything, I think the price of our phone bills will be less in 2 years due to this increased competition.

Last edited:
Well you have to look at the big picture. The current infrastructure wasnt built with the idea people would be using computer like bandwidth. Technology has moved very quickly in this area. But the cost is high because they are building the next generation only a few years after the last one. Not enough time to collect on the investment. Hopefully 4G will be different and it will be good for a while then the cost can come down. I still wonder sometimes. 30 bucks a person yow. That adds up quick. Those bastards where laughing there way to the bank when we had phones that had no chance of using that bandwidth. Now that we do its sucking for them. I dont feel bad at all for these companies. 40 / 50 bucks I have to strongly consider not having the internet on the go. I dont have money to burn.

My experience with VZ in the past is that when my contract ended and I bought a new phone (Palm at that time), they made me go to a higher cost plan. But if you buy the iPhone 4 while they have the unlimited data plan, they will not make you go to a more expensive plan at the end of two years unless it's then the required plan for the new phone you purchase.

For example, I currently have an expired contract and an unlimited data plan. I know if I get the iPhone 4 now, I'll be OK, but if they change to a tiered data plan before I upgrade I'll be up the creek. So I'm watching this carefully! Can't really put out the bucks for the new iPhone at the moment, but will do it anyway if it's going to cost me more in the longrun for data if I wait too long.

I say, there goes Verizon acting all big and making fun of AT&T saying they can't handle the network overload lol. Verizon can't handle it either I guess.

Yes, Verizon will be eliminating the unlimited data plan, BUT this will not effect you if you are already under contract for unlimited.

Yes, Verizon will be eliminating the unlimited data plan, BUT this will not effect you if you are already under contract for unlimited.

I was thinking the same thing. We've been Verizon customers for 6+ years or more (can't remember). My husband had unlimited data for 2 years prior and we both upgraded to iphones in April (unlimited).

I would hope this plan is grandfathered in (for us) as long as we're with Verizon. I can only imagine the pricing would go up to compensate.

Honestly? If they dropped OUR unlimited plan after all these years - we'd definately start shopping for another carrier. They'd lose customers if they dropped unlimited plans from people who've had them for years already.

I have found that generally Verizon carries over the plan you have into new contracts if you are not doing something like swapping out for an upgraded phone--things stay the same if you're lateral. So at the end of two years, if you purchase another iPhone or lesser phone, you'll probably be OK. But, for example, if you have a lesser phone now with unlimited data (i.e. I was still on a Palm Centro) and I upgraded to the iphone after the change, they would probably find some way to stick me to the tiered plan. It's one of the reasons I jumped ahead and got the iPhone sooner rather than later--it was a financial stretch, but hopefully it will save me in the long run.

Janknitz said:
I have found that generally Verizon carries over the plan you have into new contracts if you are not doing something like swapping out for an upgraded phone--things stay the same if you're lateral. So at the end of two years, if you purchase another iPhone or lesser phone, you'll probably be OK. But, for example, if you have a lesser phone now with unlimited data (i.e. I was still on a Palm Centro) and I upgraded to the iphone after the change, they would probably find some way to stick me to the tiered plan. It's one of the reasons I jumped ahead and got the iPhone sooner rather than later--it was a financial stretch, but hopefully it will save me in the long run.

+1 .......