What's new

Verizon Wireless Will End Unlimited Data Plans for IPhone - Thoughts?

gforeman

Reaction score
I about crapped myself yesterday when this broke in the news. The first thing I asked before buying this iPhone was if I would keep my unlimited DATA plan I had with my BB, and the rep at the VZ store said I would. Well, now I find out only for a few months. I'm only 2 days past my return period, but I'm considering going back to the store and try and return it just for the principal.

Verizon Wireless Will End Unlimited Data Plans for IPhone - Businessweek

I was pretty suprised when i heard this news as well yesterday. I did the exact same thing as you and made it a point to ask the Verizon rep at the store before purchasing the iPhone about the unlimited data plan. I specifically asked him if VZ changed their data plan in the future, if it would effect me. He told me "NO", and that I would be locked into the unlimited data plan for the length of my 2 year contract.

If this breaking news is in fact true, i'm pretty disappointed in VZ. That was really one of the main reasons i decided to purchase the iPhone now instead of wait, to take advantage of the unlimited data plan.

I doubt i will be returning mine just because of the data package, but I will be calling up the store to inquire about this. I hope VZ did not intentionally do this to try and drum up sales. Then again, I can totally see them doing this intentionally.

Maybe I'm way off base here, but wouldn't they have to continue with our unlimited or risk opening doors for people to bail on contracts on the grounds of altering a contract? Regardless of what a contract says about "things may change at any time" It still opens a huge door for a lawsuit from someone with too much time and money to say they altered it to profit and that it's a forced situation.

I didn't just get this from one source, it was all over the local news last night also.

So i just called up the VZ store that i purchased my iPhone from. The rep i talked to confirmed that the tiered program will start sometime later this year, however at the store they have not received any announcement from VZ Corporate. Basically that mean he had no idea when it will start.

He did confirm that the new tiered data plan would be for NEW CUSTOMERS ONLY. This new tiered package does not affect current customers, and the $30 data package we signed up for is locked in for the duration of our contracts.

Shew..... backing off ledge :)

So i just called up the VZ store that i purchased my iPhone from. The rep i talked to confirmed that the tiered program will start sometime later this year, however at the store they have not received any announcement from VZ Corporate. Basically that mean he had no idea when it will start.

He did confirm that the new tiered data plan would be for NEW CUSTOMERS ONLY. This new tiered package does not affect current customers, and the $30 data package we signed up for is locked in for the duration of our contracts.

When you say the length of the contract does that mean when my 2-year agreement is up and I sign up for another 2-years I will still have unlimited data?

I would imagine it will be the same as it is with ATT. They quit the unlimited before 4 even came out but I was allowed to keep the plan as long as I didn't make any changes. I think everyone will be getting tiered with 4G. Thats my theory. I will probably roll with 3G as long as I can. The speeds are acceptable. No hardon for 4g here.

When you say the length of the contract does that mean when my 2-year agreement is up and I sign up for another 2-years I will still have unlimited data?

I think at the end of your current 2-year...you get screwed.

Its possible but like I said ATT quit unlimited before I signed the last contract and I still have unlimited.

I use between 600 to 800meg a month.. not sure what the average is?

That's a good question. I called the Verizon store back to ask about this, and to be honest, the rep couldn't give me a straight answer. He said he could see VZ letting people keep their existing data plans when they renew their contracts, basically grandfathering them in. But, he also said he could see VZ forcing people to upgrade to the new tiered data plan as well. He said the difficult thing is this announcement is so new, and they have not heard anything official from VZ corporate, so that's why he did not have a definitive answer for me.

My guess is that once it comes time to renew my contract, VZ will force me to upgrade. Just my opinion at this time though. Regardless, at least i don't have to worry about it for another 2 years :)

This was no secret and verizon put it right out there before the phone went on sale:rolleyes:

I wouldn't worry about it. For all we know, in 2 years data may be much cheaper then we are paying now - or the technology may be radically different and all of this is a moot point.

No point in freaking out now

I wouldn't worry about it. For all we know, in 2 years data may be much cheaper then we are paying now - or the technology may be radically different and all of this is a moot point.

No point in freaking out now

Great point.