What's new

Verizon Iphone and MIFI problem

bach939

Reaction score
I live in the countryside and presently using Verizon MiFi for my internet connection. Like many, I've waited for Iphone to come to verizon for more than two years. I understand the Iphone will have MiFi built in and you can hotspot up to 5 computers like MiFi. Great, however I found out today from Verizon today that I will not be able to use the $59.00 5g MiFi plan with Iphone. I'm told I have to have a data plan that is 2g for $29.00 an if I use the Iphone for a hotspot it's another $20.00. I was hoping I could get the Iphone and use it in place of my MiFi device and use the 5g data plan, but I guess that won't happen. My long wait for Iphone goes on. Unless someone has another idea like Jailbreak.???

Do what almost everyone else does and jailbreak your iPhone, then you get MiFi for free on your unlimited data plan for $30/mo.

Do what almost everyone else does and jailbreak your iPhone, then you get MiFi for free on your unlimited data plan for $30/mo.

Can you explain a little more? How do I Jailbreakso I can use the iPhone as a MiFi??

Thanks

Can you explain a little more? How do I Jailbreakso I can use the iPhone as a MiFi??

Thanks

You go to greenpois0n.com and download the software.
1) BACKUP YOUR IPHONE THROUGH ITUNES FIRST!!!!!!!!!
2) Extract (or if you have winzip just open the download and double click the .exe) to desktop.
3) It will give you step by step on how to do it. (If it fails the first time, try not letting go of the home button until the scrolling text starts, and you will know when it happens)
4) When your phone reboots, go into the Loader app, which will be in the first open spot on your home screen(s)
5) Click Cydia. (it will download, install, then reboot)
6) You will now have cydia installed on your phone and jailbroken.
7) Open Cydia and click search, and type in MyWi
8) Download the latest one (4.0 I believe)
9) You will get a few days to try it out before your trial is over, at which point it will make you buy it or delete it.

It's $20, but only a one time payment. Beats what Verizon offers lol

Good luck, and lemme know if you need more help!

Last edited:
Ok, so I make my back up through iTunes? How would I restore my backup, say, if I bootloop or it's not working correctly? I'm going to jailbreak my iPhone here pretty soon. I was just wondering how I get my backup, well, back. Haha. TIA.

Thanks

You go to greenpois0n.com and download the software.
1) BACKUP YOUR IPHONE THROUGH ITUNES FIRST!!!!!!!!!
2) Extract (or if you have winzip just open the download and double click the .exe) to desktop.
3) It will give you step by step on how to do it. (If it fails the first time, try not letting go of the home button until the scrolling text starts, and you will know when it happens)
4) When your phone reboots, go into the Loader app, which will be in the first open spot on your home screen(s)
5) Click Cydia. (it will download, install, then reboot)
6) You will now have cydia installed on your phone and jailbroken.
7) Open Cydia and click search, and type in MyWi
8) Download the latest one (4.0 I believe)
9) You will get a few days to try it out before your trial is over, at which point it will make you buy it or delete it.

It's $20, but only a one time payment. Beats what Verizon offers lol

Good luck, and lemme know if you need more help!

I don't know about the latest MyWi, but tetherme uses the built in hotspot function and only costs around $5 and allows use of WPA encryption instead of WEP. Also uses infrastructure mode instead of the ad-hoc that MyWi used (when I evaluated it). Sent an email to MyWi support asking when they would support infrastructure and WPA and they responded they were not sure since 4.3 had not been released and they were apparently unfamiliar with 4.2.6 that the Verizon phones ran. I do know that tetherme works great with an XBox 360 Live account! ;)

OK, just checked out the latest MyWi and it also does WPA and infrastructure, so on software it depends on what you want to spend. MyWi has a few more options but since I already have paid for tetherme that us what I am going to use.