What's new

Verizon iPhone 5 sim 24 hr aging before activation

iVandie

Reaction score
I bought iPhone 5 today with my moms upgrade and tried to switch it to my account. Because the sim was activated on her account there is a 24 hour cool down before I can activate it on my account. Is there anyway around this? It is so frustrating to search forever to find the phone and when I finally do I have to wait 24 hrs to use it.

I had the same thing happen on launch day. Got in line at 2am, the corporate store wouldn't let me transfer my upgrade from my iPad line - I guess only the customer service number can do it or you can do it yourself online - so I had to use the new line of service I was adding to get the iPhone5 (which I was just throwing my old iPhone on for someone). The store activated it then tried to transfer it and said whoops sorry you have to call customer support and they can do it. Got home at 8:30am and called and at that time they had no clue about the 24 hour waiting period. By the time I got the phone active on the correct line it was 10am Sunday morning, only 2 full days later.

Haven't heard there's a work around yet, hopefully I'm wrong. My experience was on Verizon.

I bought iPhone 5 today with my moms upgrade and tried to switch it to my account. Because the sim was activated on her account there is a 24 hour cool down before I can activate it on my account. Is there anyway around this? It is so frustrating to search forever to find the phone and when I finally do I have to wait 24 hrs to use it.

Where did you find the Iphone 5? Im trying to buy but i couldnt find.
Thanks

iVandie said:

You'll almost certainly have to wait the full 24 hours before switching accounts. Maybe you could spend the time reading the iPhone 5 manual.
http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/iphone_user_guide.pdf

Last edited:
Same here got it on release day couldn't activate till Saturday , I called around 12 am Saturday and They were able too activate 18hrs later

Ok figured it out. My daughters moms works for Verizon I lf you buy an iPhone and the sim get programmed to a number. In order to put it on the other account the phone has to be deactivated on that account and you have to wait till 7am eastern time the next day and the sim resets. If you can find a Verizon store or apple store with a new nano sim the phone can be activated same day. So it's just the sims that locks not the phone. So worst case scenario you have to wait till 7 am. Also I activated the phone this morning from my computer on Verizon site. It takes about 20 mins for phone to be fully functional. I found my iPhone at car toys. I tried thinking outside the box and calling smaller places like car toys radio shack etc hoping that people wouldn't think to call there. My method worked. Also you can purchase it from apple website after 10 pm and if there is an option for in store pickup they will hold the phone so you can pick it up the next day. Good luck I know it's a pain!