What's new

Verizon iPhone 4S Unlock, indefinite use overseas

buckwheat

Reaction score
I am s BlackBerry user, but I am eligible for an upgrade on my Verizon account, if I purchase a 4S for $199, have it unlocked by Verizon for overseas use (I have been a subscriber for a decade, so the 60 limitation doesn't apply) and then give it as a gift to a friend overseas, and then reactivate my current BlackBerry on the Verizon network when I get back to the US, are they any potential pitfalls or problems that I am not accounting for? The phone should work for her indefinitely on her local GSM network with her SIM, correct? Please let me know if I am missing something in the equation. Thanks!

From what I've been reading and understand about Verizon unlocking the SIM port... the iPhone you wish to have the SIM unlocked on must have an active Voice & Data plan in place for 60 days prior to authorizing the unlock. Thus allowing the user to run their CDMA iPhone on GSM carriers. As far as giving the phone as a gift to a friend overseas... it seems to me that for the phone to continue working on the GSM carrier it must still be on an active Verizon Voice & Data plan as well.

As far as I know if you want to leave it there the person would have to be able to put in a local SIM chip if they did not want to have a verizon account. I just bought a 4s and was told that the SIM chip could not be removed or changed, but I just noticed the slot on the side that is "supposed" hold the SIM chip. Has anyone been able to open that to see and how do you open it? I lived 26 years in France and know that when I wanted to bring a phone from the US to France I had to be able to change the SIM chip. I go back every year and would be interested in buying a local chip for the time I am there, if it can be changed out.

Thanks and have a good day,
HiddenPuppy

Yes, they would be using a local SIM, obviously. I have been a Verizon subscriber for a decade, so the 60 day limitation doesn't apply. So I would buy the 4S, activate it, have Verizon unlock it (video here:
), travel to Vietnam, insert her local Vietnamese SIM card, leave the phone there, return to the US, and then reactivate my BlackBerry here in the US, and she would keep using the 4S in Vietnam with her local SIM card. Is there any way that the phone could be de-activated/re-locked or otherwise screwed up when she connects it to iTunes after I have reactivated my BlackBerry on the Verizon line here in the 'States?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, they would be using a local SIM, obviously. I have been a Verizon subscriber for a decade, so the 60 day limitation doesn't apply. So I would buy the 4S, activate it, have Verizon unlock it (video here:
), travel to Vietnam, insert her local Vietnamese SIM card, leave the phone there, return to the US, and then reactivate my BlackBerry here in the US, and she would keep using the 4S in Vietnam with her local SIM card. Is there any way that the phone could be de-activated/re-locked or otherwise screwed up when she connects it to iTunes after I have reactivated my BlackBerry on the Verizon line here in the 'States?

Great, that answers my questions, but how did you get the sim card out. Did you push the pin in to eject it or did you pull it, was not sure with the film. Where did you get the tool that you used, I did not get one with the 4s i bought.

Again thanks for the demonstration!!!

Have a great day,
HiddenPuppy

Last edited by a moderator:
I am s BlackBerry user, but I am eligible for an upgrade on my Verizon account, if I purchase a 4S for $199, have it unlocked by Verizon for overseas use (I have been a subscriber for a decade, so the 60 limitation doesn't apply) and then give it as a gift to a friend overseas, and then reactivate my current BlackBerry on the Verizon network when I get back to the US, are they any potential pitfalls or problems that I am not accounting for? The phone should work for her indefinitely on her local GSM network with her SIM, correct? Please let me know if I am missing something in the equation. Thanks!

UPDATE for anyone with the same question:

I purchased the iPhone 4S on my current Verizon account for the discounted $199 upgrade price, activated it, called Verizon to request the international unlock, was completed in less than 5 minutes. Trimmed into micro-size and installed an old foreign SIM card I had lying around, and connected to iTunes to complete the unlock process. Once the unlock was completed, I called Verizon back to reactivate my Blackberry (by default deactivating the iPhone, of course) which took about ten minutes. I traveled to Vietnam a few days later, trimmed my friend's SIM card, popped it in, powered it up, and the iPhone works flawlessly on Viettel. Connected to iTunes, purchased apps, installed most recent OS update, etc. and everything has been working flawlessly for a couple weeks now. It is a completely unlocked "global" iPhone 4S, only restriction is it can only work on Verizon if she visits the US.

I can vouch for how easy this is as well. One thing I suggest you do different, call Global Services directly at 800-711-8300 instead of 611 like I did. The girl had absolutely no idea what I was even talking about and it took her 8 minutes to finally figure out she needed to transfer me.

I can vouch for how easy this is as well. One thing I suggest you do different, call Global Services directly at 800-711-8300 instead of 611 like I did. The girl had absolutely no idea what I was even talking about and it took her 8 minutes to finally figure out she needed to transfer me.

Yes- I made the same mistake- my unlock would have been even faster if I didn't have to wait for the first rep fumbling around before she transferred me to the Global Services department. Also, just to clarify my update- I am back to using my Blackberry in the US on the original Verizon account while my friend is using the new unlocked 4S in Vietnam with a Viettel SIM card, no problems or issues. Very glad I was able to help a friend get a cheap unlocked 4S before the unlocked global 4S is even available in Vietnam...major "cool" factor for her.