What's new

Verizon branding missing after phone service update

xrayeyes

Reaction score
Just a curiosity really, but after doing an update on my service yesterday (*228), the Verizon brand that was next to the signal bars went away. I noticed it drop off right when I did it. Not a big deal, but I might call Verizon to find out what happened.

Don't know if this helps but I live in a small rural town in southeastern Illinois and there is no Verizon tower however, there is a Alltel tower which Verizon shares...When I first got my iPhone 4, I noticed the network icon on the right of the signal bar always said Verizon ( which was weird since every phone we owned on the Verizon network said Extended) but when we did the OS5 update our iPhones now show the network as Extended.
Whenever we do get onto a Verizon tower area the network status indeed changes to Verizon.

That may very well explain it. Under settings>about>network it says "not available". But even "in town" it never shows a carrier either. I'm sure there must be a Verizon tower or two I come across while driving to work. Curious!

xrayeyes said:
That may very well explain it. Under settings>about>network it says "not available". But even "in town" it never shows a carrier either. I'm sure there must be a Verizon tower or two I come across while driving to work. Curious!

Try going to where you know it's covered by a Verizon tower and then dial *228 and pick choice 1...after your phone has been programmed, hang up and then make a call right away. After the call, go into Safari and do a quick web browse. Then after that, do another *228 and then choose option 2. See if that helps. If not, I would go to a local Apple Store or a Verizon Store.

I actually stopped by a store this morning. They have been doing cell tower work in counties in our area. The rep reset my phone by activation. The Verizon branding is back and I have the most updated PRL. My service appears better too.

She said if I have problems in the future like this to choose #1 when doing the *228. She said that would reactivate the phone.

Edit...just reread your post! Seems the reactivation did the trick