What's new

Used iphone and itunes

dbryant11

Reaction score
Ok. First check on used phone is clean ESN. Got it. But.... What will happen when I connect a used iPhone to my iTunes? Will it force me to wipe it? If it's jail broken and I want to keep it that way, can I? Thanks!

dbryant11 said:
Ok. First check on used phone is clean ESN. Got it. But.... What will happen when I connect a used iPhone to my iTunes? Will it force me to wipe it? If it's jail broken and I want to keep it that way, can I? Thanks!

If you bought it used and you connect it your computer it will most definitely erase the content. If it's jailbroken try to dump the shsh blobs so you can rejailbreak it.

Thanks. Seller also told me he has a tethering app installed. Will I be able to save that and reuse? Can I possible use the phone withOUT iTunes? Thanks!

Can I possible use the phone withOUT iTunes? Thanks!

with the release of ios 5.0 some time in the fall you will be able to use the device with out a computer and you will also be able to update firmware and anything you needed the computer for you can easily do with out it even backup the iphone with out a computer on iCloud.

We are already on beta 7 of ios 5 so it wont be long now.

Thanks. Brief synopsis of what's happened.

Plugged into computer, iTunes did NOT auto sync. Recognized as "Bob's iPhone" under devices, (seller, not me) but grayed out.
Message said new version available but I cancel and unplug.
Then unplugged and proceeded to activate via Verizon online. Phone works.
THEN find out backup utility doesn't work with iPhone. Nice.
BUT, download VZ Contact Transfer from iTunes and you'll be fine.
Uh oh. iTunes on phone says "log into iTunes on computer to finish..."
I assume I'm hosed. But log into iTunes on PC and then boom, downloads on phone without having to attach to PC.
So, Iphone let's me add new apps from MY account and mail, and calendar, and all is well
But all existing apps that need updates ask for BOB's iTunes password.
So it's like the phone is existing off two iTunes accounts, his and mine.
Looks like all is well but it would be nice to have latest op system on phone, and be able to back up and add music etc.
Reading all this, does anyone see a way for me to get music, new op system and back up to work withOUT losing all current stuff?

Thanks!!!!!