What's new

Upgrading jailbroken phone

jruether

Reaction score
[h=2]Upgrading jailbroken phone[/h]
I know this has prolly been brought up millions of times, but I am not really familiar with jailbreaking and stuff so bare with me please.

I have an iPhone 4 running 4.2.6 jailbroken with greenpoison. I have had no problems with my phone till this past week, have had the phone jailbroken for almost a year. I can not get my phone to broadcast a wifi signal using PDAnet. I uninstalled PDAnet and had a hell of a time redownloading it, kept giving me errors. Finally got it redownloaded and still doesn’t broadcast a wifi signal. It does pick up a wifi signal though. I have also noticed small little things that have been popping up with errors.

I was on greenpoisons website and I see they have a version for 5.0.1, how do I un-jailbreak my phone without bricking it? Also is 5.0.1 the latest and greatest from apple? If it is not the latest and greatest version from apple how do I update my phone to that version and not the latest and greatest version?

Thank you in advanced for your help!​

Upgrading jailbroken phone
I know this has prolly been brought up millions of times, but I am not really familiar with jailbreaking and stuff so bare with me please.

I have an iPhone 4 running 4.2.6 jailbroken with greenpoison. I have had no problems with my phone till this past week, have had the phone jailbroken for almost a year. I can not get my phone to broadcast a wifi signal using PDAnet. I uninstalled PDAnet and had a hell of a time redownloading it, kept giving me errors. Finally got it redownloaded and still doesn’t broadcast a wifi signal. It does pick up a wifi signal though. I have also noticed small little things that have been popping up with errors.

I was on greenpoisons website and I see they have a version for 5.0.1, how do I un-jailbreak my phone without bricking it? Also is 5.0.1 the latest and greatest from apple? If it is not the latest and greatest version from apple how do I update my phone to that version and not the latest and greatest version?

Thank you in advanced for your help!​

This is what you need to do. 5.0.1 is the lates "Safe" version from apple. I say safe because is the latest version with a Jailbreak available for it. Since apple will be soon releasing 5.1 ( no jailbkeakable) you need to update to 5.0.1 NOW! Otherwise you wont be able to jailbreak ever, or until a 5.1 JB comes available if that ever happen.

Update to 5.0.1 and save you SHSH to your computer for future issues just in case something goes wrong with your phone and you needs to restore. If you don't have your SHSH blobs saved and you have an issue with your phone, you will only have the option to restore to 5.1 and not 5.0.1 meaning no jailbreak for you.

Just restore in itunes to a fresh copy of 5.0.1 and then Jailbreak using Redsnow. You iphone won't get brick.

SHSH blobs FAQ

Redsnow Download

Good Luck! :)

I'm in a similar situation, but have not had issues with any certain app. I'm holding off on the update for now, may wait until 5.1 or more.

Instead of updating to 5.0.1, try updating some of the cydia apps and see if it fixes your issues. One thing I did NOT do was the "essential updates" for cydia, as I've heard it crashes 4.2.8... Maybe others too.