What's new

Upgrading from IOS4 for latest

ianbeale

Reaction score
Hi, i have an iphone 3gs and had it for over 2 years. It currently has the IOS i believe is 4.2.1 if im looking in the right location. A pal jail broke the phone when i got it so it hasnt changed pretty much since then. Im just wondering if there will be a negative effect if i update to the latest version of the IOS in the normal way? I remember some years back a pal who had the iphone3 updated to a version of IOS that completely drained the battery etc. I may be wrong. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

First off... if you're relying on an Unlock tool such as "ultrasn0w" to use your 3GS on a different carrier, DO NOT proceed w/o precaution. If you're not relying on an Unlock... please proceed. Some users are experiencing battery life issues when updating to iOS 6.0. However, those are more often than not resolved by another fresh restore to 6.0. So, with that said, you can updating the good ole fashioned way via iTunes "Restore."

Hi planning to stay on the same carier. Just thought of updating to the latest IOS via itues, so im guessing its wipes all the jailbroken stuff off. Was just concerned that the phone wouldn't be able to handle the IOS as its an old phone.

Apple put the 3GS through quite a bit of testing and determined that it has no problems supporting iOS 6.0. That doesn't go without saying... that some users are experiencing slowness. That's more often than not resolved w/ a fresh restore to 6.0 as a New Device during the restore process.