What's new

updating iOS from 4.1 to 4.2.1

k1ran

Reaction score
Hi guys :)

Have new iPhone 4 iOS 4.1. (never lock, never jailbreak - new)

Is it possible to update from iOS 4.1 to 4.2.1, then iTunes offer to update software on 4.3.1? And if it possible, what I need to do? Then I try to update it "restore + shift" on 4.2.1 I have error 3194.:confused:

What the last jailbreak available version and what you could advise - make jail on 4.1. Maybe I can (how?) update to 4.2.1 and make it. Or I should update it on 4.3.1 and wait.

P.S. sorry for my English - it is my second language.

Thanks for answers.

Last edited:
Hello...

Personally if I were you I'd wait until 4.3.1 JB comes out. Then just upgrade from 4.1 to 4.3.1, and JB it.

I think you will be able to upgrade to 4.2.1 though. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

To do this (if I am right) you will need the 4.2.1 iOS file (ipsw). Which I think that is what you are doing.

You are getting the 3194 error because 4.2.1 is no longer signed by Apple. So when iTunes tries to verify 4.2.1, it is unable to and gives you that error.

If you google or search the forums for the error you will see lots of information regarding it.

You should be able to add the below entry to your hosts file...

74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

Good luck and let us know how you get on. If anyone else can correct me if I'm wrong that would be great.

craigfoot,

Thank you for answer :)

I read before, that adding 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com in hosts needed for updating JB phones, no? But my phone not Jailbroken :confused:

And also I read, that I need to save SHSH, if I would like to update on last 4.3.1 version, to have possibility to back on 4.1. Is it true and how I can get it? :confused:

Hope to find possibility for updating on 4.2.1 and install JB on it.

Adding to the hosts file isnt anything to do with jailbreaking. You need that when installing an ios version that is no longer signed by apple. Apple stop signing the code shortly after a new version comes out. Adding that line to the hosts file and restarting itunes tricks itunes into going to a different server to sign rather than apples.

Yes, save your shsh blobs. You can do this by googling and downloading a program called TinyUmbrella.

You should do this anytime you upgrade your ios :) just in case you need or want to downgrade.

I made copy of my SHSH, add this line in hosts but still have 3194 error. Hope somebody have another way to install 4.2.1 on my device and install JB

Last edited: