What's new

Unwanted Camera Shutter Sound

PhotoFlora

Reaction score
Recently - possibly after an update my iphone 14 pro has started making a 'click whiz' camera shutter noise when I take a picture. It used not to do that and I prefer it that way. I can't find the settings to change it. Help please!

Recently - possibly after an update my iphone 14 pro has started making a 'click whiz' camera shutter noise when I take a picture. It used not to do that and I prefer it that way. I can't find the settings to change it. Help please!
Are you moving your finger to the left when depressing the camera shutter? That causes a burst of pictures and makes a buzzing sound.

Thanks Caroline. No that is not the case. I know that move produces a burst - I've been taking pictures with my 'phone for a long time and It's only just started doing this. It mimics the sound of an old-fashioned camera motor-wind - 'click whizz' - announcing to the world when I have taken a picture.... It's a long time ago as I say but I seem to remember that I had to set it to 'silent' somehow but I can't find those settings now! :rolleyes:

Usually, it‘s possible to mute the shutter sound with the Ring/SilentSwitch on your iPhone‘s side. If you see the orange part, it‘s muted.

Usually, it‘s possible to mute the shutter sound with the Ring/SilentSwitch on your iPhone‘s side. If you see the orange part, it‘s muted.
In some countries it is illegal to silence the shutter sound.

Thanks folks! I'm working mainly in the UK so this doesn't apply.I don't recall having the problem abroad either . I'm thinking of Italy and France particularly. The switch on the side of the phone doesn't work for me. I think it's set to shoot a burst.

The mute button is next to the volume buttons. All it does, is mute if enabled. It‘s not possible to set it to shoot a burst. You can use the Volume Up button for bursts, it you enable it in Settings.

Thanks j.A. and all. On the left hand side of my phone there are two buttons and above them a switch which is the mute switch. The way my phone is set up, when in camera mode the upper button will shoot a burst, while the lower button will take a single shot.
I think we are on the wrong track with this. This problem has happened recently and without my intervention. I have been using this phone ever since the 14 Pro was released and it has never until now made this sound since I set it up. Unfortunately I can't remember how I did the setup - it is a while back.
(Just by the bye I have been taking photographs for more than 70 years and I don't appreciate kit that thinks it knows better than I do! Apologies for the rant! 😁)
Best...
P.F.

The mute switch (I called it Ring/Silent switch in my first post) is the part that silences the shutter sound. Toggle it to the side where the orange part is visible.

The only other way to make sure you don‘t hear the shutter sound, is when you use Live Photos. That‘s enabled in the Camera app, at the upper right

The mute switch does indeed silence the shutter noise on my iphone but that is not what I want. I don't want it to be muted all the time. My wife's iphone 12 has always taken pictures silently whether it is muted or not. There must be a setting somewhere that allows me to get rid of that shutter noise!
I don't use live photos - it's a nuisance when it accidentally gets switched on!
I suspect this has something to do with a recent update that has interfered with my settings - that's really quite annoying! 🤬
Your help is much appreciated but I don't think we're making much progress!
Best...
P.F.

I‘m not giving up yet. 🙂

Afaik, there‘s nothing in Settings that mutes the shutter sound.
One last option:
Open the Camera app, then swipe down at the top right to open the Control Centre. Drag the Volume slider, so that it shows this:
IMG_3994.jpeg

Bingo!
I don't think I've ever seen that camera settings window before.
The history is that I was given a new iphone 12 and presumably opted for a silent camera in the setup process. Subsequently all the settings were transferred automatically to the 14. It was a good while ago so I really don't remember with any certainty, but anyway...
So grateful, and indeed relieved!
Many thanks
P.F.

Bingo!
I don't think I've ever seen that camera settings window before.
The history is that I was given a new iphone 12 and presumably opted for a silent camera in the setup process. Subsequently all the settings were transferred automatically to the 14. It was a good while ago so I really don't remember with any certainty, but anyway...
So grateful, and indeed relieved!
Many thanks
P.F.
That volume button is not specific to the camera. Turning it down will turn other sounds down as well.