What's new

Unlocking iPhone 4 questions

thecodyset

Reaction score
I want to unlock my iPhone 4. It's still under contract with Verizon, and I wanted to know if that would effect it. I don't know much about unlocking iPhones, but I definitely don't want to end up bricking my phone. Also, what is the best way to go about unlocking and iPhone 4?
Thanks!

Even if you unlocked it, you'd be limited to using it with only a pool of carriers so limited that you can count them out on 1 hand's worth of fingers, and none of them are in the US. There isn't a SIM slot for the CDMA 4 so you can't use it with an interposer and you can't use it with SIM carriers. You can flash it to Cricket, but that's about it.

Hello,
I have iphone 4 (16GB) which has contract with softbank network (Japan). I could not use my local (Bangladesh) sim card. I want to unlock my phone. Also want to jailbreak my phone. Currently this phone has updated to OS 6.1.3. Kindly help and suggest me what i should do now?

Hello,&nbsp;<br>I have iphone 4 (16GB) which has contract with softbank network (Japan). I could not use my local (Bangladesh) sim card. I want to unlock my phone. Also want to jailbreak my phone. Currently this phone has updated to OS 6.1.3. Kindly help and suggest me what i should do now?&nbsp;<br><br><br>

Unlocking is illegal if you bought the phone after January 28th. Even if you bought it before then, I am going to let someone else help you with that part...As for jailbreaking, you can either use evasion or redsnow

Unlocking is illegal if you bought the phone after January 28th. Even if you bought it before then, I am going to let someone else help you with that part...As for jailbreaking, you can either use evasion or redsnow

1. It's after January 26th, and even after the 26th, any phone can be unlocked through a carrier.

2. It's only illegal if you purchase it outside of a carrier

3. Evasi0n cannot be used to jailbreak iOS 6.1.3.

Actually, what's illegal about the unlocking of phones purchased after January 26th is that only the original carrier can legally unlock the phone.

scifan57, iPhone Forums Moderator

Thanks guys for your prompt reply. Actually i didn't bought it. One of my cousin was living in Japan and he gave it to me. But i really want to use this phone on my network. I can confirmed that this phone was purchased in last year.
I tried to use redsnow for jailbreaking. But i could not understand which firmware i need to download. Can anyone help me out? How can i understand that which was perfect for my iphone4?

The Japanese iPhone should be a GSM phone. You can check to see if you have a SIM tray on the right side of the device. If yes, it's a GSM, if no, it's a CDMA. If it's a GSM, use the iPhone3,1. If it's a CDMA, it's the iPhone3,3.

Depending on the iOS that's on your device currently, you'll need to use an IPSW that matches. iOS 6.0-6.1.3 requires the iOS 6.0 IPSW, regardless of whether it's 6.1, 6.1.2, etc etc. Otherwise, you'll need to use one that matches directly with the iOS on your device.

If you're on iOS 6.0 - 6.1.2 (6.1.3 not included) you can use Evasi0n instead of RedSn0w.

Unlocking a Japanese phone is probably one of the most expensive unlocks. Japanese carriers don't conventionally unlock devices, whether if you pay for it or not, this is where interposers shine.

Actually, what's illegal about the unlocking of phones purchased after January 26th is that only the original carrier can legally unlock the phone.

scifan57, iPhone Forums Moderator

It is no more illegal to unlock mobile phones. The law has been reverted by the Librarian congress as a success of online petitions made. So it is not necessary that you should unlock your iPhone only through the network provider. You can unlock it from any private unlocking service also.
For example, You can visit EDITED This site provides remote unlocking service for iPhone models. This method of unlocking is safe, simple, affordable and quick. It doesn't require a jailbreak too.
Moderation notice: This post has been edited by the iPhoneForums staff in accordance with theForum Rules No External Links

Last edited by a moderator:
It is no more illegal to unlock mobile phones. The law has been reverted by the Librarian congress as a success of online petitions made. So it is not necessary that you should unlock your iPhone only through the network provider. You can unlock it from any private unlocking service also.
For example, You can visit EDITED This site provides remote unlocking service for iPhone models. This method of unlocking is safe, simple, affordable and quick. It doesn't require a jailbreak too.

Actually, that's not quite correct. Legislation was introduced in Congress last Thursday that would legalize unlocking. The bill has yet to be passed. http://mashable.com/2013/05/09/cellphone-unlocking-bill/

Last edited: