What's new

Unlocking Built-In Personal Hotspot Feature?

doctauri

Reaction score
So it seems that the CDMA version of iOS5 beta 1 has the personal hotspot feature unlocked. I do not subscribe to it, but I can turn it on and use my phone as a hotspot, and it doesn't even prompt me that I have to subscribe either.

I'm no iOS programmer, but it seems to me that someone who was good at iPhone hacking should be able to take this app, compare it against what's in a current release of the iOS, and maybe come up with a way of making the personal hotspot feature work without activation...

Any ideas?
Doc

If you have iOS 5b1 then you should be a developer. Otherwise your illegally using it. It's for developers only to test their apps with, to make sure their apps will work with the new iOS. It's buggy and not for general use.

All it takes is $99, no other requirements.

Thanks for asking though!

Theres nothing illegal about using the betas if your not a developer. Apple may not approve if you haven't paid the $99 and it may be morally incorrect but to my knowledge it's not illegal. (in the UK)

If your a developer and you charge for people to get their UDID regestered or for the beta software then that's when it becomes illegal.

@doctauri

Apple won't allow something like that in the app store. There's already something that will allow tethering in cydia called mywi. I know that's not exactly what your asking for but I doubt someone will go to the trouble of making another tethering app...

Last edited: