What's new

Verizon iPhone Hotspot

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
One of the things I'm most impressed about is the hotspot feature that will be included with Verizon's data plan that will let you tether up to 5 mobile devices!

+1 for Verizon.

Verizon called it an app, but getting hands-on we can see that's not the case at all -- Personal Hotspot is built right into the CDMA iPhone 4's build of iOS 4.2.5

Maybe this will force AT&T to do the same!

I am very curious about this app... If I recall correctly, wasn't there an additional fee for using the mobile hotspot with the Droid X? I have my current phone (Droid Eris) rooted so I can use the Wireless Tether app and it's pretty awesome. If the iPhone 4 can do this right out of the box, and at no additional cost, that's awesome!

did they actually say it was free or say it was included on the device (meaning you have to pay extra to actually use it)

I'm pretty sure you just have access to it already built into the phone but once you activate it there will be a charge for the data you use. It will probably be like $20 for 3gig or something like that.

I'm just guessing though.

Cya

All of the initial write ups actually say it is a part of the Verizon data plan, BUT they haven't given us a solid price on the data plan. So basically, it looks like this will not be an optional thing to add to your data. You will get it with data, however much they charge for it.

Really hoping this doesn't run up our data charge. I know we pay extra for the hotspot on the Droids, but the Palms have it included at no extra fee. Go figure.

i expect them to charge, att has the same option and it charges to use it.....unless you jailbreak.

i expect them to charge, att has the same option and it charges to use it.....unless you jailbreak.

Where it is getting more difficult is that it is actually included in the new iOS, not an outside app to access it. So it is apparently harder to track the implementation. Can't recall all of the details on it, but something about it being incorporated in the true system made it an all or none option on the phones. They (Verizon and AT&T) couldn't turn it on and off on the individual phone basis.

that is how the att iphone is. No difference....not vzw may offer a 3 month free deal (like the did palm) but they are tryna make money so they WILL charge.