What's new

Unlock iPhone 4S

Hi Jmills87,

What is difference between Gevey Ultra S vs Sam method?

Is there a way to check if my iPhone is blacklisted or not? I have managed to activate iPhone 4S using AT&T sim when i accidentally setting "Erase All Content and Settings" about couple months back.

I have already bought Gevey Ultra S so price will not affect, so is it worth for me to unlock my iPhone 4S using Sam method and throw Gevey in the bin.

If i am to go ahead and unlock using Sam and in-case if it fails - Can i still use Gevey Ultra S or do you i need to restore iOS 5.0.1? I am not planning to upgrade to iOS 5.1.

Please advise?

They are completely different methods of unlocking. Gevey is a hardware unlock that uses a SIM interposer, and SAM is a software unlock that uses a fake unlock ticket. I would just sell the Gevey and use the SAM method.

Hi Jmills87,

Thanks for your reply.

I would like to give it a go but i have not Jailbreak my A5 Device, so can you please advise which method should i use "Absinthe 0.4" or redsn0w 0.9.10b7?

Both the above method are providing Untethered Jailbreak for iPhone 4S.

Hi Jmills87,

I have just managed to Jailbreak using method of "Absinthe 0.4" and all went well.

Thereafter - I tried to unlock the phone using Sam and it all went well but at last i DID NOT get the message "you phone cannot be activated" BUT the phone is unlocked as i have received the signal bars and able to make and receive call. Also the data services are working fine 2G and 3G all works. I tried to re-boot and it works fine.

Does this mean that my phone is fully unlocked and no need to do anything?

All features that were missing before on Gevey Ultra S and now working fine except Toggle to turn off 3G on the phone but my voicemail button and personal hotspot is back.

I am thinking to do perform "Reset Network Setting" just to check if the Enable 3G toggle comes back but is safe to do so on a Jailbreak iPhone?

Last question reference to Sam unlock, currently i have unlocked my phone for vodafone UK but if i need to use a different sim i.e. T-Mobile then do you have follow all the steps again or different ones and if i return back to vodafone then i don't have do anything just put the sim card in the phone. Just asking as i thinking to follow the steps required on all the UK network sim cards and wanted to save the apple unlock ticket so in future i don't have to do anything and just plug and play.

Please clarify on this at your earliest as I am planning to move to T-mobile in couple of months once my contract is expired?

Thanks

Yes, you will have to follow the instructions for any SIM you want to unlock for. That is the one downside of this method. If you want to reset network settings go ahead, it shouldn't cause any issues, but just in case you should backup your unlock ticket first.

Hi Jmills87

Can you please confirm that this procedure is followed only once for every new carrier and not every time i.e. once I followed steps for t-mobile and put back Vodafone sim I don't have to follow any steps as I have already done ?

Please confirm?

It is only once for each SIM as long as you save each separate Unlock ticket so you can switch back and forth between SIMs, you will also need to restore the unlock ticket when you restore/update.

Ooh Ok - the saved ticket contains all the information for particular carrier. The current apple unlock ticket I have saved using redsn0w 0.9.10b8 is for Vodafone only. Once I follow the steps for t-mobile and save the ticket it will be for t-mobile only and not a combined tickets for both Vodafone and t-mobile.

I was thinking to only save the last once I have followed steps for all the UK network provider but thanks for clarifying.

Thanks

You got it! It's kind of a pain right now because you have to manually unzip and overwrite the files each time you want to switch carriers, but Sam posted on his twitter that he's working on a new feature where you will just be able to select which unlock ticket you want to use in SAM instead of manually overwriting the files.

Hi Jmills87,

Will I be able to use any Vodafone sim card on my phone for the unlock is it specific to the one I have used ?

That I am not sure of. I assume that it will only work for the specific SIM that you use since the unlock ticket is based on the ICCID which is different for each individual SIM.

Thanks for your reply.

As I will be getting t-mobile sim in couple months and in meanwhile if apple block the sam exploit then my only option is to unlock using Gevey Ultra S and stay on ios 5.0.1

Please confirm?

Hi Jmills87,

I have just opened Cydia and found an update for Sam available as my phone is already unlock so is it safe to update Sam app.

Just have update notification next to Cydia so wanted to check if it is ok to update app or will it delete currently unlock and may have to redo again.