What's new

Unlock iPhone 3GS to go from ATT to another carrier

smckinniss27

Reaction score
Can someone please point me in the right direction on how to do this? I have a buddy who wants to use his iphone on his carrier and not on ATT. I have looked and searched on here and haven't really found much of anything relavent. Thanks in advance.

smckinniss27 said:
Can someone please point me in the right direction on how to do this? I have a buddy who wants to use his iphone on his carrier and not on ATT. I have looked and searched on here and haven't really found much of anything relavent. Thanks in advance.

Hi there.

Need some info on the phone to be able to give you exact instructions.

Need to know
1. When the phone was purchased (how old it is or the serial number)
2. What ios it has right now
3. Baseband (settings-general-about-modem firmware).

Thanks for the response, I will get that info and post it up as soon as I can.

5.16.02-- firmware, iOS 4.3.5 (8L1), said he could not get serial number but phone is about a year and a half old.

You will have to update to the iPad baseband if you wish to unlock since 05.16.02 is not unlockable. Also, I would advise updating to 5.0.1 ASAP so that you can have an untethered jailbreak.

I am new to the jailbreak/unlocking thing. So is my friend. How would I go about doing this? I want to get all the steps down before I move forward so the process is streamlined. What would be the best route to take?

smckinniss27 said:
I am new to the jailbreak/unlocking thing. So is my friend. How would I go about doing this? I want to get all the steps down before I move forward so the process is streamlined. What would be the best route to take?

Restore iphone through itunes
When you get the welcome screen, turn the phone off and run redsn0w 0.9.10b4

Click "jailbreak and install cydia"
Hook up the turned off phone and make sure its off right before you hit next and be ready to do the power/home button combinations as directed to put the phone in DFU.

Once the jailbreak starts, it will show you a popup window at some point where you have to tick "Install cydia" and "install ipad baseband". And hit next.

When the phone is in the lockscreen, the jailbreak is done. You go to cydia, go to manage-sources-edit-add and you add the http://repo666.ultrasn0w.com
And then search and install ultrasn0w and you should be set.

Buzz me if you need help

Are the links to redsnow posted on here? Or do I have to go somewhere else to get it?

Thanks for the help!!

smckinniss27 said:
Are the links to redsnow posted on here? Or do I have to go somewhere else to get it?

Thanks for the help!!

Unfortunately i cant find a link in the forum here for b4 right now, just google "download redsn0w 0.9.10b4" and you ll get it right away

Thanks again for your help. I will message if any further help is needed. Thanks to all who replied.

Ok, so we sucessfully jailbroke the phone, now how do we get it to unlock to a new carrier (i.e. cinci bell)?

This thread can be closed. Everything was figured out. Thanks to everyone who replied and helped. My friend couldn't be happier with his 3GS unlocked iPhone.

Wait don't lock the thread! I want to do basically the exact same thing (3gs from ATT to cincinnati bell). But the phone is a take home from work and has no service. Will everything still work the same? I need to install itunes on my computer and download redsnow and run it as above. Do I need to do anything different because the phone has no service? Sorry to hijack the thread. Thanks for the help.

p.s. the phone is 5.0.1 and 05.16.05 modem firmware

Last edited:
Wait don't lock the thread! I want to do basically the exact same thing (3gs from ATT to cincinnati bell). But the phone is a take home from work and has no service. Will everything still work the same? I need to install itunes on my computer and download redsnow and run it as above. Do I need to do anything different because the phone has no service? Sorry to hijack the thread. Thanks for the help.

p.s. the phone is 5.0.1 and 05.16.05 modem firmware

You need to do the exact same thing. Jailbreak with redsn0w, update to the iPad baseband and install ultrasn0w.