What's new

Turn by Turn navigation with Apple maps.

gzigoris

Reaction score
We just came to Myrtle Beach SC from Michigan using Apple maps turn by turn navigation. Turn by turn navigation is the cats ass. it worked great,even better than an older GPS that we had. I was really surprised that it worked well in the mountains of West Virginia. For what I have used it for I would not give Apple maps a bad mark. We have iPhones on Verizon and on most of the 900+mile trip we had LTE. Only once in WV we lost signal completely. I am really impressed with the iPhone, Verizon and the navigation.:)

Do you use up your data when using turn by turn navigation or is it based off of the satellite ?

It will use your data for sure if you use native maps , i use Navigon with turne by turne with off data and works fine because i preload the maps on my phone.

roger.newton said:
Do you use up your data when using turn by turn navigation or is it based off of the satellite ?

In a nutshell yes data is used for navigation, however the apple maps seem to be far more efficient in data usage than google maps that it replaced. If you start your journey in a wifi area probably most of your map will be cached on the phone and only the small amount of data for the Siri voice navigation will be used.

The GPS satellite positioning itself does not use any data but without a map, coordinates by themselves are not very useful.