What's new

On the fence-anyone have any experiences with the navigation?

nosmartphone

Reaction score
I had an original Droid Incredible for a few years and I was satisfied with it. It has since been damaged beyond repair and I'm eligible for an upgrade with Verizon. I have looked at Android phones as well as the iPhone 5. I liked the new iPhone but I did use the turn-by-turn navigation frequently on my Android. It's impossible to read anything about the iPhone 5 without seeing the dismal reviews about the maps app. However, I'd like to know if anyone has used the nav yet, particularly in the Northeastern US and what they thought of it? Is it as bad as the media is portraying it?
I don't want to have to pay another $10/month for VZ navigator, which I don't particularly like anyway. I know that Apple is working to resolve the issues but it won't be overnight and I really need a new phone. I'm hoping to hear about some positive experiences with the iPhone nav.

I know you are looking primarily for NE USA based responses but I have used the maps app perfectly here in the UK. In all honesty, yes there are some flaws with it, some of them fundamental, but:

A) these will be fixed shortly
B) there are plenty of free mapping apps on the App store that are just as good, if not better, than Google Maps
C) Only a very small percentage of locations are showing as incorrect on the maps app when you take into consideration the hundreds of thousands of locations it references

The UK version of the sat nav has been awesome for me! I used it to help me drive from Wales through England it was just as good (even better) than the command system in my car. 😄

US version worked great for me so far but I am in Florida.

If you have concerns about it there's a very good free app called Waze that is highly recommended. You could use it as an alternative should you have issues with ioS maps.

And for the record the old IOS Google maps was poor so that was no great loss.

I have tested the maps here where I am and have found the navigation satisfactory. I use MotionX GPS Drive since I got the 4S and it has been flawless and only $2. worth every penny for me. I still use it 995 of the time. I am going to try out Maps this weekend on a trip and see how it does.

Waze is also pretty good, especially for free.

In Virginia it works fine!

Everyone says that the Android Navigation can be beat by an iPhone App, but I will always disagree. Android Navigation was what kept me there. It's great and it always worked for me... and it was free. There are many great Android devices out right now, and there is also the iPhone 5. I have the Droid Razr Maxx and I have an iPhone 5. They both are great. I chose the iPhone since it works with my car stereo whereas my Razr didn't.

Good luck!

Worked fine for yesterday in Michigan. There are other navigation options that you can find in the App store .. Garmin oN Demand and Waze are a few. I wouldn't let this be the deal breaker if I were you.

Coming from Samsung Fascinate, I will say the tone quality is far superior on the iPhone 5. I noticed when I was using the speaker on a call that the sound was crisp and clear. And my friend on the other end didn't even notice that I had him on speaker phone until I told him.

OP...I have had the Orignal Droid, the Droid 2, and the Bionic. The last time I used navigation with the Bionic it missed the mark by about a mile and a half. Fortunately a postman was around and while he didn't know the business, he knew the city I was looking for was "thataway."

I tested iPhone 5 navigation after coming home from Verizon Store a few days ago. I glanced at the map occasionally just to see how far to the next turn. I was going home so I couldn't get lost.

It did a great job until the end. When I turned right on Squire road it said "In a half mile turn right on my street." Whoops. Following those directions I would have ended up in a water parks parking lot.

It missed a turn on a very odd street, so I don't fault it badly there. As I pulled up the moment I hit the mailbox it said, "You have reached (my address).

Two things to remember. You are always going to read more negatives then positives in any forum. And navigation with Google wasn't perfect.