What's new

Trouble after restore . Plz help .Bottle of port wine reward to solution

DaSofaSurfer

Reaction score
Dear Iphoners,

Some random guy came to me with an iPhone 4S to sell at a fair price.

Before considering any business I saw Imei and serial number. With those numbers went to sites and I found that was not on the blacklist (hence not stolen) was not locked in icloud and was even unlocked by the carrier (so I figured it would accept any SIM). After these contain these 3 things I decided to buy it for my girlfriend who has been having problems with her Android.

I took it home and did a restore and through the iTunes update (thus restoring the mobile phone to factory SETTINGS). This done I thought I would no longer have any problem ....

I put in with a SIM that had home just to make sure everything was working so I could then surprise my girlfriend by giving it to her.

When I turned the phone back on it asked for a new passcode to lock the screen. Then asks to activate location services (or not) which I did. Then choose a wifi network so I connected to my home network.Then it asks to log on with your Apple ID. My girlfriend does not have an Apple ID so I made one for her (using her gmail address) and made up a password that she could later change to whatever she would like.

On the screen "The Apple ID configuration can take a few minutes" After 20 seconds appeared the terms and conditions I agreed. By agreeing appeared a pop-up to basically say the same. "I accept the terms and conditions of iOS, iCloud and Game Center, as well as Apple's privacy policy" so I agreed again !!

Everything seemed to be going well .... When suddenly everything goes very bad.

I hit a brick wall an alley with no way out and so here I am hopeful that more experienced users with a much greater knowledge I can provide my assistance.

The problem is this ... After agreeing with such pop-up that says "I accept the terms and conditions of iOS, iCloud and Game Center, as well as Apple's privacy policy"

The screen says that the Apple ID configuration may take several minutes but after about 20 seconds a warning appears in pop-up way saying "Could not log in" and only have as an option a button saying "ok" and I can not go any further ahead.

I've tried several times but always same result and so I am stuck.

Can anyone help me with this problem?

I thank in advance any answers or help for this my problem. If somebody sorts me out I will gladly mail a bottle of very nice Port unless you are very far and the mail exceeds the price of the bottle.

KInd regards,
Jaime aka "Da Sofa Surfer"

Welcome to iPhoneForums, Jaime!

Try to login with the email address and the password you used on this site:
Apple - Apple ID (select "Manage Apple ID").

If it's possible, you don't need to create a new Apple ID, because you've already done this. All you need to do in that case, is to set up the iPhone with her existing Apple ID.

If it doesn't work:
The email address needs to be verified. Usually, she should have received an email, asking her to verify the Apple ID. If she doesn't know about this, it's possible that she removed the email without verifying. If you do have access to her account, look for the email and verify the ID for her. Otherwise you'll have to tell her about it.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

If it's possible, you don't need to create a new Apple ID, because you've already done this. All you need to do in that case, is to set up the iPhone with her existing Apple ID.

If it doesn't work:
The email address needs to be verified. Usually, she should have received an email, asking her to verify the Apple ID. If she doesn't know about this, it's possible that she removed the email without verifying. If you do have access to her account, look for the email and verify the ID for her. Otherwise you'll have to tell her about it.

If it doesn't work:

Thank you J.A,

I can log in on that site. I had already tried it. I have the password to her email and had already verified the Apple ID. But on the phone when going through the setup steps it just says "unable to start session" (in another language so maybe it doesnt say that word by word in english but that is the meaning anyway. Also the internet connection if fine as it is connected to my home network and all devices have internet access. I am really puzzled and annoyed by this.

I have even considered restoring the phone again. Not because that makes any sense either but because I cant do anything else.

It should be possible to skip this step and set up the iPhone without Apple ID, and adding the ID later, in Settings. Have you tried that too?

Is the iPhone still connected to the computer? If so, disconnect it and try to set it up.

Last edited:
It should be possible to skip this step and set up the iPhone without Apple ID, and adding the ID later, in Settings. Have you tried that too?

J.A. ok I tried that and am now getting somewhere. I was so stuck I didn't even think to do that- Thanx a million.

I have now a working phone !! (kind of )...

One problem went away and a new one shows its ugly face.

When I go to settings»» icloud and enter the and try to log on with the Apple ID account I created for her it says something along these lines " (I am translating from my language to english):

- It is not possible to log on
This Iphone has already been activated with the maximum number of free accounts allowed

So what are my choices now ? Ifshe cannot log onto Icloud or app stores she wont be able to install any apps (that sux)
If I cannot create a free account do I have to pay for one ? Can I bypass this somehow ?

You can use another Apple device (your iPhone, iPad, Mac, ...) to activate the ID, and then use it on her iPhone. That should be possible.