What's new

transitioning from android

iwestfall7062

Reaction score
just switched over to iphone from android and I'm struggling to get a few things figured out.

1.) widgets, I had a calendar widget on my android that displayed the next couple of days tasks all on my main screen, currently I'm getting the impression that iphone has no way of doing this without jailbreaking correct?

2.) calendar, is there anyway to set the default calendar to display in a list mode when I open it up?

3.) lastly, I used my android to store files that I used for school, so I would transfer them from my home computer to my android to a school computer. I don't believe there is anyway to use an iphone as a HDD/USB drive natively again without jailbreaking, the simplest thing that I've found is using FileApp so far. Even this is aggravating though because I have to have iTunes installed in order to transfer files on and off, as well as when transferring in iTunes it won't let me place files into a folder, I have to place it on the phone and then go into the app on the phone and move it into the folder myself.

Thanks for any help anyone provides!

just switched over to iphone from android and I'm struggling to get a few things figured out.

1.) widgets, I had a calendar widget on my android that displayed the next couple of days tasks all on my main screen, currently I'm getting the impression that iphone has no way of doing this without jailbreaking correct?

2.) calendar, is there anyway to set the default calendar to display in a list mode when I open it up?

3.) lastly, I used my android to store files that I used for school, so I would transfer them from my home computer to my android to a school computer. I don't believe there is anyway to use an iphone as a HDD/USB drive natively again without jailbreaking, the simplest thing that I've found is using FileApp so far. Even this is aggravating though because I have to have iTunes installed in order to transfer files on and off, as well as when transferring in iTunes it won't let me place files into a folder, I have to place it on the phone and then go into the app on the phone and move it into the folder myself.

Thanks for any help anyone provides!

Welcome to iPhoneForums. Please take the time to peruse our forum rules and abide by them in your stay here as well as our sister forums.

1) In the sense that its ever present on the main screen, yes. But, any upcoming events within 48 hours can be seen in the notification center. On iOS 6, you will be limited to only events of the day, but on iOS 7, if you enable "Tomorrow's Summary", it will show the next 2 day's worth of events. In essence, if you're looking for it to be on the springboard, then yes your device has to be jailbroken to introduce a calendar widget to the springboard.

2) In terms of a list of events, by default, no. But, if you open up calendar.app, and you tap the little magnifying glass on the top, it will list out all events in chronological order so you can scroll through them. But by default, no.

3) Yes you'll need to jailbreak. On the non-GUI iPods, you are able to use them for music, video and photos, as well as a flash drive (was really convenient back when I had a 120 GB classic). But with the introduction of GUI devices like the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch, the ability to use the device as flash storage is exploitable for hacking and malicious intents. Many apps offer USB services, but as you've already experienced, you need iTunes. Alternatively, if you're allowed to run a simple freeware, iTools will allow you to extract files from your device without iTunes.

Alternatively you can use Dropbox, Google Drive or other cloud storage mediums for faster transfers as you're typically hardwired in school, which beats wifi SSH/FTP

Sent from my iPad Mini