What's new

Touch Screen Not Responding Properly - Have to Double Tap Everything

ZivotSon

Reaction score
Hi. New to the forum and I did try searching first, but didn't see my issue raised.

I bought the iPhone 4S when it came out. It was working fine until this weekend. At first, I couldn't type in my password. I ultimately figured out that I had to tap the number I wanted to enter once, at which point a box would appear around the number (as if it was now highlighted), and then I had to double tap the number for it to be entered.

Once I got to the home screen, I have to repeat the same sequence. For example, to get on Safari, I have to tap it once, to get the box over it, and then double tap it to launch it. Wheher in Safari or mail or anywhere else, I cannot scroll up or down a page nor can I enlarge or shrink a page. For example, if it try to enlarge a page, it just places a rectangle box around some of the text on the screen.

The functions on the phone still work. I still receive calls and emails for example, but its impractical to use as I can't even scroll down to read an email I received.

My kids were playing Angry Birds on it before it stopped responding. They said it was working okay and they just decided to stop playing.

I tried the trouble shooting suggestions by apple (except for restore) but nothing has worked. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Go to system> general> reset> reset all settings/ if that doesn't cure it then you will have to factory restore the iPhone.

Thank you very much. That did the trick.

Go to settings-general-VoiceOver and shut off VoiceOver should fix it.

Thank you so much for this thread, ZivotSon!!
I encountered the same problem with my iPod Touch 3rd gen, and i've been trying ways to enter my passcode but in vain. Your method/solution saved me :)

Oh, and triple tap the Home button (which turn off 'voice over' feature and accessibility) can also take away the problem :)

Last edited:
Did anyone get to the bottom of this as I am having much the same problem, however, re-setting the phone (either using the buttons, or a reset in iTunes) only solves the issue you for anywhere from 5 mins to 5 hours - then I'm back to no touchscreen.
I have just done a factory restore, at at the moment it is fine which suggests it was a app. However, how, without adding each of the 50+ apps one at a time, can I work out which one is the issue?
I'm away on business, so there is no way I can get my provider to send out a new handset to where I am (currently Moscow), so any help anyone can give would be a great help.
Oh, just to give a little background, this started about a week ago, on and off, and I have subsequently upgraded to iOS6 with the same fault following.

Thanks again if anyone has answers.