What's new

iPhone 4S has stopped emailing weblinks

AndieC

Reaction score
Hi. I regularly email links from safari (using the share button at the bottom of the safari screen). Also regularly email links from my rrs reader app, and from Twitter. Last week strangely this functionality stopped working -I think it coincided with when I did the latest software update but I'm not certain.

So now when on safari, or reader app I click 'share' and 'email link' (and the email window opens as usual, where I enter recipients name) I click send and the email window closes (as normal, as if email has gone) but in actual fact nothing has gone at all - nothing in sent box, out box or received by recipient.

In the Twitter app, when I open a weblink I get do now at least get an error message when I try to email using the share button within the client (top right of the screen) so I know it's not working but from safari and reader no alert at all.

Can anyone help?

What did/does the error message say when you tried to send the mail via Twitter? You might have a problem with your default e-mail account. Do you have one established? If you do have one, I suggest looking at it to see if its still working properly. At the least, delete that e-mail account and re-install it; hopefully that'll fix it.

Marilyn

HI thanks. Would send you a screen shot but can't work out how to! Says - Error The operation couldn't be completed. (MFMailComposeErrorDomain error 1.)

uninstalled email account and reinstalled it. Still the same. I think it happened at the same as I updated software at beginning of last week. Can 't be certain but think these problems started then..

Huh. I've got no idea, sorry.

Have you tried the old stand-bys (fully close all apps, then restart or reset)? That helps a lot more than you think. And, that's the only suggestion(s) I could find when I Googled your error message. So, to do (apologies if you know):

Fully Close an App: Double tap the Home button to reveal the row of icons in the multi-tasking bar. Press and hold any icon until they all start to wiggle and you see a red circle with a minus sign ("-") in the top left. Press the minus sign to fully close the app. Don't worry, it won't remove the app from your iPhone, just from the phone's resident memory.

Then...
Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPhone finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

If that doesn't help, try this last step...

Reset: Hold both the power and home buttons until the screen goes dark and the Apple logo then appears (the slide to unlock screen may or may not appear). Once the logo appears, release the buttons. After a time, your homescreen will appear. Please note that it may take some time for the Apple logo to appear or for your homescreen to appear (or both). This is normal. Eventually, the homescreen will appear.

If that doesn't help, sorry but I'm out of ideas. Hopefully, someone will be along with another.

Marilyn

Worked!! Had tried powering off but hadn't tried closing the apps. Thank you :)

Yay! Glad to hear that things got sorted for you. And, thanks for coming back and telling us your problem got resolved. Always nice to hear back - especially the success stories. :)

Marilyn

I had this problem, voice memos also locked up. Turned out my iTunes backup was corrupted when I did a restore for IOS 6.1.2, my email share locked up. Even desktop safari apps caused issues. I finally did a restore from the iCloud to resolve.

I'd been having a real issue with phone losing wifi capability too . Tried everything but this seems to have been sorted
too. Seems maybe having 20+ apps running was causing problems. Who knew?!