What's new

The C Word.

Today we bought a gold thimble for one of my Christmas presents from our favourite antiques centre, Its C1900, We didn't notice but just inside there are two sets of initials engraved EMJW 10/8/42 EEB.
So in 1942 during the second world someone bought his loved one this lovely little thimble maybe in an antiques shop and had it engraved.
I like to think it was a soldier going off to war.
What a lovely thought.

Going to put up the Christmas tree this weekend.

Let's see your Christmas decorations.

A 15" MacBook Pro would be nice! Back on planet earth though, I'd settle for some Beats (still counts, right?)

With three weeks to go I'm getting those pre Christmas jobs started, Already defrosted the freezer to get those extra Christmas goodies in there. Got my list of Christmas food on the go although it never seems to get any shorter.
Cards are written and presents to be wrapped at the weekend along with putting up the tree ect .

How are your preparations going?

There´s nothing special I do for Christmas, simply because the weeks before the 24th (we celebrate in the evening) are the ones with a lot of work at school, and I don´t have much time to do very much at home before my holidays. Next week, one of my colleagues will celebrate her 50th birthday, so something else to prepare for, and less time at home.

In Austria, we´re decorating the Christmas tree on Christmas Eve, which means that I don´t have to do this very soon. We´ll have to buy a tree soon, though.

I love to see how people in other countries prepare for Christmas, We have everything done by about 5pm on Christmas Eve, The shops close for the holiday so if you forget something its usually too late.
By about 8pm the presents are under the tree and we are relaxing.

Last edited:
I have to prepare everything before 2:00 PM. At 3:00 PM, there's a mass for children, and my school is participating, so I have to be there too.
Sometimes we put the presents under the tree before that mass, sometimes afterwards. We start celebrating at home around 5PM. Afterwards, we visit our relatives - my mother, in my case. Before entering the room with the Christmas tree, we do something we call "Ansingen": In my mother's house, we stop in front of the (closed) door that leads to the room with the tree, and then we're singing a carol - my son, my daughter and I. Polyphonic. :)

That sounds lovely, What a nice tradition.

I generally spend the morning of Christmas Eve cooking the Gammon joint. When thats done we go into town to soak up the Christmas atmosphere, We have a last look around the shops for last minute shopping and hunt the odd bargain.
At some point we sit and have a Latte and watch people going by.
By the time we get home its almost time for tea and going dark.

Yes, By then everything is done and the pressure is off and all to look forward to.