What's new

Tethering Problem

thebiglebowski

Reaction score
I have an iphone 3gs. IOS 5.1. Laptop is Windows 7. I would like to use Firefox but don't have to.

Did the tethered jailbreak. Downloaded openssh through cydia. Set up an ad-hoc network on my laptop. Connected iphone to it through wifi.

Start cygwin and ssh server with command ssh -ND 9999 root@YourIPAddress. I don't think there are any problems yet because if I type in "aaa" for password it rejects it, but with "alpine" it accepts it.

I start up firefox. Go to preferences and put in "localhost" and 9999 in the SOCKS proxy input. Try and open a web page...cannot find server. In addition to doing this I also put the same info in internet options > set up LAN > set up proxy, then tried in both IE and Firefox.

Any idea what I should try next?

Just download TetherMe from Cydia, no need for SSH or cygwin or anything like that.

I was hoping for something that is free, especially since I feel like I am pretty close to getting this working (having the ssh server started and everything, just something buggy with the connection).

I guess I will pay if I can't find anything else.

I wonder if there was some way to work around this with port forwarding? Start up putty and tunnel my http traffic into ssl? Am I not understanding that correctly? I'm not a networking guy...

thebiglebowski said:
I wonder if there was some way to work around this with port forwarding? Start up putty and tunnel my http traffic into ssl? Am I not understanding that correctly? I'm not a networking guy...

What exactly are you trying to do? It sounds like your trying to setup a proxy or something throgh your phone?

All that needed to tether is a tether tweak like MyWi or TetherMe and thats it. Nothing to configure.

MyWi is expensive has a few more options but is also detectable.

TetherMe is amazing. Completely worth the $5. All that TetherMe does is enable the native tethering option in the Settings.app.

Once installed go to:
Settings> TetherMe> then toggle Personal Hotspot on

On your computer open the tab of available network and select your devices name, enter the pass word and your connected! Very simple.

Once you open the "TetherMe" tab in the Settings.app the Personal Hotspot tab will appear at the top of the Settings page.

Last edited:
Just trying to tether so I can use my laptop for internet at work (and not have entertainment sites blocked).

First thing I googled had a guide of how to do it with openssh for free. I spent hours working on it (which I realize is probably dumber than paying $5) but I don't give up easily.