What's new

Task Killer

smokeylt

Reaction score
Sorry,
I am new to the Iphone and used to have unlimited internet plan. Now I am on a 200 Meg plan and when I asked the ATT Rep how I ensure the internet is not running in the background, she suggested I get a task killer App, like I had on my Android. Can anyone give me any advise?

I can't find anything anything in the App store.

smokeylt said:
Sorry,
I am new to the Iphone and used to have unlimited internet plan. Now I am on a 200 Meg plan and when I asked the ATT Rep how I ensure the internet is not running in the background, she suggested I get a task killer App, like I had on my Android. Can anyone give me any advise?

I can't find anything anything in the App store.

Go to General / Network / turn off Cellular data. By doing this you'll only connect via wifi and not use your data bundle.

I do not know what iOS you are using but let's say that you are using the latest iOS which is iOS 5 or iOS 5.0.1
To kill all running apps from the back ground double click on your home button to reveal the multitasking bar, there you will see all the apps that you've previously open and are freeze or still streaming in the background. Tap and hold on any app you see there until they all start wiggling, then you will see the red minus sign on top of each app wiggling, touch that red minus sing to completely close all opened apps, you can do that often to completely close any apps you thing is capable of doing something in the background.
But the most important is not at the multitasking bar but instead it's located in your settings.
How did you set up your email boxes to fetch your new emails? What about any 3rd party weather app you may have installed on the device and it's auto updating every 30mn? what about the location service setting? So those are stuff which can easily eat up your 3G data specially the email auto fetching. Go through your settings and setup everything to be manually instead of being automatic and voila.

yTSew said, turning off cellular data prevents any internet connection that could consume your plan data. As for android phone, task killers are indeed useful if you have tons of apps and many of them look for updates all the time. here is a site that has all the info needed.

Last edited: