What's new

Syncing

FunkatronJive

Reaction score
OK, what is syncing exactly and why does it do it every single time I plug my phone into itunes?

I understand that I can delete applications through itunes and I can add ringtones... havent figured out how to add songs or anthing else to my phone...

Is there a way to stop it from syncing each time its plugged in or does it really matter?

Is syncing saving all of my phones data (contacts etc) or would I have to do something else.. just incase I loose everything... so I can restore all the lost info.

OH and how can I get my pictures and videos off the phone and onto my computer?

What is syncing? Example, if you download a new app or song in iTunes, then the next time you sync, whatever you downloaded in iTunes will be put on your iPhone and vice virsa, if you downloaded and app or song on the iPhone, it will sync back to iTunes.

You can download songs from the iTunes store or you can rip your CD's into iTune and Sync them with your iPhone.

When you sync your iPhone to iTunes it sync's and backs up all of your data to iTunes so that if you have a problem or loose your iPhone and get another one, every thing can be synced back to the new iPhone or restored iPhone.

Syncing doesn't take that long, only the first time is a little long. So, let it sync every time.

Getting photos and movies off of your iPhone requires and app such as Photo Transfer or any of the many other app that allow photo transfer from your iPhone to PC, or PC to iPhone. Many of the apps use FTP protocol to transfer pictures from and to the iPhone. Don't let it scare you, just follow the instructions and it will work like a charm, it easy, just sounds scarey.

OK thanks...
So I was able to put songs on my iphone by dragging them to music under my iphone in iTunes.. dont know if this is right but I was trying everything... anyway.. I then deleted the songs from my itunes library (no reason) and next time it did its syncing it got rid of all the songs from my iphone...

so basically, if i let it sync every time... and i have accidentally deleted something is it gonna erase it from my phone?

Is syncing actually saving my contacts too? How come I cant see them anywhere in itunes?

Sorry for so many questions!

Contacts go into the INFO tab in iTunes and select the contact book you want to sync to.

In itunes click the CRTL key and the , (comma) key together and go to the DEVICES tab and check "Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically". This will prevent you from accidentally deleting them from iTunes.

You told it to delete the songs and it did just what it was told to do, it deleted the songs. If anything in iTunes is deleted, it will delete them from any iDevice that you attach to iTunes. To be on the iDevice, it must be in iTunes.

Try going to www.ilounge.com and reading the tutorials there. They have a tutorial for almost anything you can imagine on the iPhone, iPod, iPad, iTunes...

Go to Apple click on SUPPORT, look just below the pictures of the iDevices at the icon that looks like a book and says MANUALS, click on that, then click on the picture of the iPhone, then click on iPHONE USERS GUIDE, download and read. It's all there. :)