What's new

Song Titles From Backup

iFone2

Reaction score
So, I was previously on iOS 6.0. jailbroken. None of my music was synced to iTunes (I used "Bridge" to copy music to my phone). I restored and updated to iOS7, then restored from my backup I made before I updated. Now, all of my 1300 songs are gone.
Is there a way to view any of these song names in the backup? Any way I can view what songs were on my phone. Like, in some sort of file or something??

thanks.

If you still have the backup, you'll need to use a backup extractor to browse to the music directory, and transfer your music content over onto your computer

If you still have the backup, you'll need to use a backup extractor to browse to the music directory, and transfer your music content over onto your computer
Yes, I still have the backup. Can you link me to something that will allow me to view any music I had on my device? I'm not sure if what you're saying is possible, but I could give it a try. :(

I know now that the music is NOT stored in the backup file, but is there anywhere out of all the files within the backup that I can look in, and find at least the titles / artists of the music? :/

Last edited:
If you use utilities outside of iTunes to backup the device, they'll have the media backed up, but restoring the backup will not place them onto your phone because iTunes does not allow for it. You can use iExplorer or iBackupBot to open the backup and see if it's in there. If you used iTunes to backup, more than likely it won't be in the backup

If you use utilities outside of iTunes to backup the device, they'll have the media backed up, but restoring the backup will not place them onto your phone because iTunes does not allow for it. You can use iExplorer or iBackupBot to open the backup and see if it's in there. If you used iTunes to backup, more than likely it won't be in the backup

Yep, I used iTunes. I didn't sync my phone before restoring and updating it but even if I did, I did not have the media stored on my computer. I'm pretty sure the directory where song titles / artist names etc. are stored is not included anywhere in the backup at all. I have apps in the backup such as "BeatHazard", which saved high score data from playing a song from my library. Could it be possible that the names are stored in the app backup? I'm just trying to find any way to know what I had.

Last edited:
Yep, I used iTunes. I didn't sync my phone before restoring and updating it but even if I did, I did not have the media stored on my computer. I'm pretty sure the directory where song titles / artist names etc. are stored is not included anywhere in the backup at all. I have apps in the backup such as "BeatHazard", which saved high score data from playing a song from my library. Could it be possible that the names are stored in the app backup? I'm just trying to find any way to know what I had.

You'd have to look through the system files in the backup.

Well, unfortunately, it seems that there is no possible way to view anything pertaining to music information. Obviously, there are no music files stored within an iTunes backup, and there is no file or ANYTHING in the backup that contains the names or artists of any music that was on the device at the time of the backup. I've read hundreds of articles and forum threads / topics on this and similar issues, all with the same answer; not possible. I've even inspected hundreds of backup files using both iExplorer and iBackupBot. I was, however, able to obtain a short list of about 40 of the titles and artists of the all the music I've had (over 1300 tracks). I did this by analyzing a .plist file and .sav file for "Tap Studio Pro", an application that utilizes songs from your music library. All of the songs I've made a "tap" for, were listed in the .plist.

I hope this helps anyone that possibly has the same or similar issue. If anybody else has any more information on this, please reply.

Thanks.