What's new

*something* is consuming lots of power. Which cydia apps are power hogs?

homerb

Reaction score
I jailbroke my iPhone 4 about a week ago, and I've been experimenting around with all the fun cydia and rock apps.

Battery consumption wasn't much of an issue, given the extra battery capacity on the iPhone 4. On my iPhone 3G, I found lots of apps that really ran down the battery.

But I noticed my battery is much lower than it should be.. And I'm thinking it's because of a few cydia apps...

Here is the list of cydia packages I currently have installed:
Activator
AddCallHistory
Anonymous Email
AppSync for OS 4.0
APT 0.7 HTTPS Method
BENM.AT Source GUI
BigBoss's Source
CyDelete
Cydia Community Source
Cydia Installer
Cyntact
Dev-Team
FakeCarrier
FakeLocation
Five Icon Dock
Frash
Hackulous Security
iForum X
Installous
ModMyi.com
NES 3
PDANet (OFF)
Recent Call Log Delete
RockApp
Saurik's Source
Signal
Sinful iPhone Repo Prep
Source GUI
SpringBoardAccess
Veency (OFF)
WinterBoard
xGPS
ZodTTD's Source
3G Unrestrictor

I'm thinking that Activator is what's consuming a lot of the power. I just enabled it to activate MMS, Phone, and Camera using swipes on the status bar. I didn't notice much battery drain before I activated these gestures.

Does anyone have any knowledge of any other cydia apps consuming lots of extra power? 5 icon dock? Frash?

Thanks!

Homer

Yah there is a noticeable increase in battery drainage after the jailbreak and I'm wondering about this too. I don't even have half of that list installed and the main reason why I jailbroke this is for MyWi, iFile, and MxTube. Any ideas any one?

It's why I went back.... The apps from cydia don't have any battery saving requirements. So many are very inefficient.

See what is open in the processes in SBSettings. I actually improved my battery life since jailbreaking last night :p. lost only 1% over 2hrs of idle on wifi. where i lost 25% in 8hrs idleing(also on wifi) the day before.

Only thing i had running during the 2hrs was phone.

o btw i have

Rock, Installous, SBSettings, Five Icon Dock, Winterboard and w/e the cydia is that comes w/ the jailbreak.

can i update my iphone for to 4.0.2 ? will it hurt my phone? how do I "unjailbreak" my phone? thanks

You can only unjailbreak by restoring. Right now 4.0.2 cannot be jailbroken. As far as having battery issues... Holy crap people, no wonder youre having battery issues. Anything that has to constantly run to keep something changed will cause your battery to drain more than usual. Given the list you gave i know that:
Winterboard, five icon dock, fake carrier, fake location, and signal are some major battery consumers. Planetbeing even admitted himself that signal had a major battery issue.

I dont want to tell you what you should or shouldnt have but you should think if having that much stuff outweighs having to plug in your phone twice a day. Also a tip as far as winterboard goes, its a lil more tedious but try playing around with your system files yourself. Theres nothing you cant manually change yourself that winterboard can.

Downloaded PrivaCy from Cydia and opt out of all the companies. Seem to help a little in reduction of drainage since it's no longer sending out usage data behind the scenes with out you even knowing.

I got rid of most of the apps, including:
Activator
AddCallHistory
Anonymous Email
Cyntact
FakeLocation
Five Icon Dock
Frash
iForum X
ModMyi.com
NES 3
PDANet (OFF)

I noticed that Activator, fake carrier, cyntact, and frash took up a lot of power

Homer